2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again.

Took car back in a couple of days ago to get what i thought was knocking shocks coming back to haunt me, but it isn't.

To cut a long story short, the car is creaking when driving over uneaven surfaces (like driving off the drive at an angle) as the body flexes. It seems to be somewhere round the rear left seat.

They have had a quick look but can't identify the cause. The dealers thought it could be the rubber seal round the rear door, siliconed it but it made no difference. Has anybody else had any similar issue fixed? I just din't fancy taking the car in to be stripped to hunt for a creak, it could take ages to do, and my car has spent enough time there since I have had it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aye, yes it is. Thats why I told the dealers I think it is the shocks or suspension, rattling and creaking.

It is annoying as hell! What's worse, it wil be so hard to locate and fix, it could take the dealers ages to find, and you know what happens after trims and stuff have been removed. They creak.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Surely this is the torsion beam rotating. It will rotate over an uneven bump, and is more likely to creak in wet weather.

The beam runs under the rear seats and I guess is most likely to make a noise at either end. Don't know how it's lubricated, but it would be the first thing I would look at (if I could be bothered, because torsion beams always groan in the morning).

I'll have a dig around for some more info - a good dealer should know more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Guys, have you got glass roofs?? Mine has a really bad creak coming from the right, it is in the dealer and has been since last Wednesday. Supposed to be able to pick it up today. The thought is that it is an incorrectly tightened tension bar going across the roof. The interior has had to be stripped because of this problem.

In my case at least it is not the rear torsion beam in the suspension as when the car is stationary and the rear door is opened to the full extent the creak is replicated through the glass roof. I will post an update later tnt when I get my car back.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I have a glass roof! Not sure on pottsy, though. Please let us know what the results are!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Me too, creak around passenger-side rear door, low down. If you press the plastic inner door panel around the edges where it rubs against the door frame, then that noise is exactly what mine sounds like. However I have smeared vasaline under the panel edge, to no avail.

I prefer to identify the source of this myself if possible, rather than have the dealer pull the car to bits without being certain of the cause. My previous car had a very similar creak, didn't find it in six years.

Seems to me that these creaks are part and parcel of the way cars are assembled these days, with clip-on plastic panels and all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had/have a metallic knocking noise from the rear passenger seat when going over big bumps. I narrowed it down to the seat and could reproduce it by opening the boot and giving it a whack from the back.

Dealer said there wasn't enough padding in the seat and apparently put some more in. Is slightly better now, I hear it more rarely, but not completely gone.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm starting to warm to Pottsy's torsion beam theory. No amount of bouncing the car up and down will reproduce the problem. It nearly always happens when turning very slowly onto a slope, I guess twisting the chassis. This happens all the time, not just when cold.
Had a quick look, there's the usual large rubber bushes anchoring the trailing arms, with the torsion beam welded laterally between the trailing arms. There is what looks like an anti-roll bar running inside the torsion beam, can't see what it connects to.
Regards, pcr.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Perhaps those with glass roofs who also have the creaking rears ;) should compare VIN numbers by PMing each other? Based on Cheltenhamshire's experience (i.e. lacking some spot welds), maybe there was a fault in the spot welding process for a certain batch of cars? I take it, such tasks are done by robots, not humans?

At least that way, it might be possible to see if there's any correlation which, in turn, might make it easier for individual owners to get a result with their dealers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quite possible. Although due to the awkward angle I suspect it is done by humans with the spot weld guns that are on those arms....thus enabling a welder to get into the upper inside of the rear of the car. Not sure of the vin ... I can check, but my car was made in April of this year.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think Pottsy hit the nail on the head. Spen a while sniffing around the area while someone drove the car up and down our ramp. The creak is definately coming from an area under the rear seat, on passenger side. I took the rear wheel off and had a better look, and there is a nice big pivot point for the rear arm where it meets the chassis. I am sure the creaking is movement there. The area was creaking as the jack took the weight off the wheel and put it back on again.

Dealer is having a look on monday.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

The car is back home, and the creak is gone!

The solution? Removing the spring on that side, then re-fitting it upside-down! Apparently, it fits in better this way up, and stops the creaking as the load is changed on the spring. Who would have thought?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
In a 2CV, you know the first day of autumn, because the springs start creaking...

Glad it's better, but it does seem a bit odd that reversing the spring did it. The wheel does move back and forth when it goes up and down, so this will cause the spring to shear and rotate on it's ends, so maybe they're correct. Squirt of oil in there would probably fix it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Bungle, thanks for the update, it's good when threads are resolved with a positive outcome. I think I have the same problem so your info will be useful when I visit the dealers.
I notice the springs are the same each side, I expected them to be left and right handed. Maybe the creaking is to do with how they seat on the left side.
Regards, pcr.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bungle, thanks for the update, it's good when threads are resolved with a positive outcome. I think I have the same problem so your info will be useful when I visit the dealers.
I notice the springs are the same each side, I expected them to be left and right handed. Maybe the creaking is to do with how they seat on the left side.
Regards, pcr.

I think you're right. Honda has sent out a message to dealers, so their service department should be aware.

Good luck getting your's sorted.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Bungle,
I read your creak came back, how did you get on at the dealers this time ?. I have traced my creak definately to the floor pan, not the suspension as thought. Press down hard on the floor, along the door-edge, then press down on the sill and there it is, creaks every time. I suspect that either something is rubbing against the underside of the floor, or there is a dodgy welded seam. I have no tool to remove the strange screws which secure the under-floor panel, so am booked in at the dealers on Monday.
Regards, pcr.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My car has been with them for 3 days for the creak to be sorted. I am awaiting a reply from them this afternoon. The car also has had the recall check and the filler cap 'modified' with foam with this visit.

When I get more news, I will post it here to help out other owners with creaky behinds.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts