2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My squeaky clutch was driving me mad so looking at what I had learned on this forum I felt the probable problem was the pedal mechanism or clutch mc needed replacement.
I gave the clutch pedal mechanism a good squirt of Halfords bike chain grease, this did not work. I took it to my local independent garage who is a one man band and I have been taking my car there for many years. He had a look and could not find anything obvious so he looked online and found a Honda service bulletin saying the pedal could be out of alignment with the m.c. and the cure was to loosen the bolts, depress the clutch and re-tighten. This did not work.
He put his mechanics stethoscope on the mc and said he could hear it creaking and squeaking so we decided to order a replacement mc but before doing so he checked the clutch fluid and said it looked to be the wrong colour and put in a gauge which flashed up a series of red lights meaning the fluid was no good. He stuck his finger in and said it feels oily rather than fluidy and either the fluid had degraded or the wrong stuff had been put in.
He flushed out the fluid which was coming out green with black content and put in new fluid.
After much pumping up and down on the pedal the squeak got less and less until it stopped altogether. 5 days now and no squeak.
Hope this helps and please excuse the non mechanical terms I am definitely not an expert in this field.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I changed my fluid about a year back, and as the OP describes it was greeny / black with sludge in the reservoir. Cleaned out the res, and bled new fluid through using big presses on the pedal and it made the clutch feel much improved. Can't comment on pedal squeak as I resolved that by using a silicone based lubricant spray but I suggest everyone checks their fluid because it seems more common then not that the civic fluid goes manky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts