2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only used the car last Saturday, went to get in it tonight, (had to pick up a mate from the airport) and the key fob wouldn't work, so thought I'll try the other one, no luck, opened door with key, interior lights were flickering, put key in ignition, lights all very dim, nothing happening with the start button, so thought hook it up to the missus car with jump leads, leave it 10 minutes, still nothing, have given up now, can a battery be that weak that even hooking up jump leads won't get it started? :(

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh well, Honda assist came out, battery was 5.6V, tested for a drain, nothing showing, I've left it with everything that I could possibly switch off, off. have to see if it starts when I next use it

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna get the record for the most self responses to my own thread at this rate!

Gets even better, another Honda assist guy came round, started it this time battery was @ 5v, again got it charged up again left it running for about 3/4hr (guy said would suffice), tested for drain, nothing.

Guy left, I turned it off, went indoors, put on shoes came out 10 mins later and nothing again, now booked in for Tuesday, but what a pain all this is.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Ha ha I cant believe no-one has replied!! lol maybe you smell ha ha.... The battery has run flat on my "S" AND "R" so I guess im no better off ha ha

·
Registered
712 Posts
If the battery is only showing 5v it's knackered, charging is a waste of time you need a new one. your car is an 06 so getting on for 3 years.
I would expect a good quality car battery to last 5 years or so but if it has ever been run down before or you do loads of short trips it can easily kill a battery in 3 years.
I have the same issue with one of my bikes (these are worse as the battery is much much smaller) it's a 2006 April reg bike and the battery is dead but it is a track bike and gets left for weeks or months at a time and it has gone completely flat twice and now won't recover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm gonna get the record for the most self responses to my own thread at this rate!

Gets even better, another Honda assist guy came round, started it this time battery was @ 5v, again got it charged up again left it running for about 3/4hr (guy said would suffice), tested for drain, nothing.

Guy left, I turned it off, went indoors, put on shoes came out 10 mins later and nothing again, now booked in for Tuesday, but what a pain all this is.
Your battery is death, change it.
A flat battery with al cells (6) intact must still have 11,4 V. A full loaded battery must have 16,2 V (outside the car loaded with an extern battery loader) In the car max 14,2V.
If you drive every day for 20 miles it must by enough to load the battery.
If the voltage of your battery is below 12,4V.you must direct upload the battery.
What also will sea that the car is not loading well, or you have a lost of current somewhere!.
Normal a battery will go for 5 years under normal conditions, in my last Honda Accord the battery was 8 years old and still working!

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,172 Posts
my dads citroen gets used about 3 times a week, the car is nearly 8 years old and its never failed to start and its still on the original battery! dont think any civic will match that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know you've said you've turned everything off now, but that's with a potentially dead battery. Before that, did you turn off any of the 'Auto' settings if you have them (headlights and wipers)?

Reason being that the manual on mine mentions that on Auto they can drain the battery even when not in use. The dealer also warned me of this when I bought the car. If this is the case then maybe it's been killing the battery overnight each day.

If not, please ignore.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I had mine changed under warranty last week

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had mine changed under warranty last week
How old is your Civic, and what's the mileage?

Mine's in the garage as I type, I never leave anything in auto mode, however I haven't been using it much of late, remember it was off the road for about a month too after I got rear ended.

My job location changed too, just as I bought it back in 07/2006 and as such it's only done 25k miles since new, I know it's not an ideal indicator but the little window on the battery is no longer green!

Last visit by Honda assist (this morning) had a reading of 7.9v on the battery.

Don't want to spend any more on it now, as I'm cutting my loses come July and moving on, god knows what I'm getting yet.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ha ha, there was a drain on the battery apparently, the sunroof was the cause, so they have ordered a new part and I should get the car back tomorrow, I have seen the other threads whereby other people have suffered the same problem!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts