2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know there are a number of different posts on this forum for updating the standard gear knob and base but I have recently done mine and wanted to share the experience. I found this to be a very cheap upgrade and it makes a very big difference to the overall look and feel of the interior!

The original gear knob and base are vile, so I decided to invest in something a little nicer...

Materials required:

• New gaiter of choice
  • New gear knob
  • 1 cable tie

The original base was marked when I purchased the car (the 'bruises' on the silver were made by the mobile wires - thanks jameslro !)

The 'cheapy feel' plastic original gear knob had also cracked... not good :(

I wanted a quality look and feel, but not for it to look too 'modified' - blue neons and Playboy logos were a no-go!!

Cost was also a consideration and I was pleased to find the following listings on eBay:

AUDI TT LEATHER GEAR GAITER SHIFT BOOT M GREY ST 98-06

Nissan Leather Gear Knob 350Z SKYLINE OTHER MAKES JAPAN

Leather Gaiter: £5.49 delivered
Leather and Aluminium Gear Knob: £12.99 delivered

They arrived swiftly and the next steps were very simple:

First, unscrew the original gear knob and remove completely.

Next unclip the panel which covers the base of the gear knob. This unclips quite easily without the use of tools or screwdrivers. Pop it off from the top end first and then lifts out from the bottom.

Screw on the new gear knob. Once tightly fitting, put the gaiter over it.
Top Tip - use a cable tie to keep the new gaitor fitting snug! This stops it slipping down and looking saggy. Clip off the excess off the end of the cable tie.

Finally tuck the new gaiter in and ensure it is fitting snug. Then follow clip the plastic base cover back on. Sit back and look proudly at you new smart, quality gear knob and gaiter!

·
Hairy Northerner
165 Posts
Cheers for the HowTo Yannis!!

And for those that don't want a leather one, you can also buy black suede ones for the Audi TT which will fit the Civic, just like Yannis' leather one, but will match the Honda Alcantara interior trim
AUDI TT BLACK SUEDE GEAR GAITER LEATHER SHIFT BOOT NEW | eBay
PS - I'm not the seller, I just saw it on eBay :)

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Yannis, thanks so much for this, its exactly what I want. Could you just confirm that on the gaiter that you just remove the metal trim that it is pictured with?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're welcome mns. :cool:

tikigod19 the gaiter does not get supplied with the metal trim - it is for illustration purposes only as that is what is fitted in the Audi TT. The gaiter that you get sent is just the leather part. Fits straight in!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
You're welcome Cranox, it looks great! And I like you're cream interior - is it leather?
Some parts are leather other just plastic ( all parts on dashboard are plastic )
Its the leather option from honda.

Does the leather gaitor not still fall off?not sure the able tie would hold it in that position all the time?
At this point no problems , but i think its strong enough

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the leather gaitor not still fall off?not sure the able tie would hold it in that position all the time?
Mine has been holding fast for just over 1 month now, and I only used a cheapy cable tie so I think you will be fine! All it needs to do is grip the leather onto the metal gear stick and it will hold it up indefinitely!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Splendid, bought one, fitted it in a moment it is just what I wanted.
I clamped it with a small cable tie around the reduced diameter of the lever so I dont expect it to drop at all, best six quid I've spent for a long while.
Thank you
James

·
Hairy Northerner
165 Posts
I did mine tonight!
8 minutes from unlocking the car to driving away with the new Nissan 350Z gearknob and Audi TT leather gaiter in place!

It feels as good as it looks. The driving experience is much better, as changing gear now no longer feels like moving a walking stick about in the middle of the car!

I was impressed that it was a genuine Nissan part as it even came sealed in the original Nissan packaging!

I'd definitely recommend doing this to anyone. I'd post pictures, but to be honest, it looks identical to Yannis's one! :)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Well done! ;)

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
ive got the type s ishift. any gear knobs that are gonna be good for that? cant have one that goes from 1-5 with Reverse on lol. gonna look into this if no one knows any

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
Done mine as well, went for the gaiter with the blue stitching, looks brilliant. Gear knob is a genuine Nissan item, and is top quality.

1 - 20 of 347 Posts