2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some time of googling, asking experts, official dealers and searching this forum I came to the answer that I'll use 5w-40 grade oil for my R.

I wanted something "ultimate" so I looked at Motul V300 and Gulf Competition, which was recommended by Opie Oilman. Then I was informed by our (Hungary) Gulf distributor that ester based oils tend to be consumed more, 2-3dl/300 km as ester sticks to the cylinder wall (I hate oil consumpiton) and do not worth at all to use for street driving.

Instead Gulf Racing 5W-50 was recommended. So I'm a bit confused again. I might use the OE Honda oil...

Do you use ester based oils, do any of you has any experience with Gulf Racing oils? Does it matter at all what oil to use?

Please help

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi

I don't agree that ester based oils burn off more or that you need a 5w-50. The Gulf Competiton 5w-40 will be absolutely fine. A 50 is too thick.

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I don't agree that ester based oils burn off more or that you need a 5w-50. The Gulf Competiton 5w-40 will be absolutely fine. A 50 is too thick.

Cheers

Tim
Hi Tim

Thanks again, something was wrong with your e-mail, i received delivery failure notification.

I had only one last question. Does the GULF Comp 5W40 meet the ACEA A1/B1 requirements. Sorry for beeing that stupid, I don't know much about mechanics and want to be sure.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi

Yes, the email server died, we're using a back up at the moment, but it means we missed a lot of emails.

Officially it doesn't meet the A1/B1 specs, but unofficially it way exceeds them, I believe it's equivalent to an A3/**.

Cheers

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts