2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but am looking for a little advice.
I checked the oil in the CTR yesterday (first time in about a month I think and have very gradually noticed it go down).
It was about 2/3 of the way between min and max holes (closer to max).
Do I need to be rushing out and topping this up or is that still an okay level while I source oil?
I've had the car for 4 months and have covered 4,700 miles since then.
The oil was at max when I got the car, does that sound like a reasonable amount of oil consumption for a CTR over that mileage?

My next question is what if I don't know what type and grade of oil's already in there? I've heard that it's important not to mix oils.
The handbook says 0w30 so I'd stick with what's specified there but I don't know what may have been put in previously.
Would it be catastrophic if it had 5w40 and I topped up with 0w30 or vice versa?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Using a litre of oil over 14,100 miles in 12 months is about right for the FN2 IMO.

I don't think you need to rush out and top up the oil urgently - you will have some time to source the oil you require.

If the car was last serviced at Honda - then you can assume they used 0w30 - even so topping up with a small amount of different grade oil shouldn't have any impact

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
My dealer used 5w 30 the brand was mainly used by Peugeot so I got some silkolene pro s 5w 40 (meant to be the best for the type r a lot if owners use it) and did a complete change and as 5w 40 is thicker it uses even less, saying that mine uses hardly any anyway.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was last serviced by Arnold Clark Nissan four months ago so who knows what they might have put in.
I'm tempted to go with the handbook but might look at the 5w40 too.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
Ask Opie oils on this site he's usually called oilman, get a discount he will recommend the silkolene anyway it is very good oil and meant for high revving engines and get the Hamp oil filter its Honda but is better than the ones they use at services. Used by spoon racing keeps good oil pressure. If unsure get both and do a complete change, if your not confident take it to a garage my garage charged me 30 quid to do this and all plugs

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts
Anywhere between the min and max marks on the dip stick will be fine. Just dont overfill or allow it to drop below min mark. Stick with the recommended oil, especially if still under warranty. subtle difference in the thickness of oil that may allready be in the sump wont matter. But mixing synthetic and non-synthetic oils is definately not recommended. For typeR i personally use 0w 30 as per the sticker convenently placed under the bonnet by my dealer to let me know what they'd used at the last service. :)

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
AHHHHHHHH I dont know what to do in regards 0w 30 or 5w 40.

Cant get fuchs titan here in waterford,and castrol edge is 58 euro for 4 litres in halfords.Fn2 needs 4.5l so need another 1l which is the best part of 20 euro so in total almost 80 euro.

Opie oils have a deal on castrol edge at the moment,buy 4l get 1l free .Does anyone know if edge 5w 40 is as good as fuchs 5w40?

·
ex CW FN2 owner
595 Posts
I was in similar postion the other week but mine was a bit lower. As my car has always been serviced by Honda I just opted for 1L of Castrol Edge 0w 30 fully Synthetic from Halfrauds. Its worth keeping on eye on how much your using compared to how much you have been hitting that VTEC to keep topped up as far as im aware the oil capacity in the FN2 is 4.5L

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
AHHHHHHHH I dont know what to do in regards 0w 30 or 5w 40.

Cant get fuchs titan here in waterford,and castrol edge is 58 euro for 4 litres in halfords.Fn2 needs 4.5l so need another 1l which is the best part of 20 euro so in total almost 80 euro.

Opie oils have a deal on castrol edge at the moment,buy 4l get 1l free .Does anyone know if edge 5w 40 is as good as fuchs 5w40?
Fuchs (or silkolene pro s as its now called, they changed name) it's for high revving engines don't Opie post your way. Honestly I have no regrets changing to this if it's good enough for the pro's it's good enough for me and the many other users. As oilman says if you ask him Honda recommend 0w 30 for better mpg but as its a thin oil you actually burn loads off so the money your meant to be saving on fuel your spending on oil. No brainer really Fuchs/silkolene is perfect for vtec.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
I waited for the offer buy 5ltrs get 1ltr free, ideal for top ups. Saying that ive had no need to top my oil up yet, mine must be one of the lucky engines as some do burn loads but i hardly rag it or use the vtec. Don't forget to type civinfo at the checkout so you get the discount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts