2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Recently purchased an 07 Type R, and have a few questions regarding the timing chain. I'm pretty clueless to be honest, but I've done some research on here and the owners club, and point of replacement generally seems to come down to personal preference. Some have it done every 30-50k, some (or most) suggest 100k, and others are reaching 200k on the original chain.

I am 90% sure I'm just going to bite the bullet for peace of mind (currently have chain, guides, tensioner and rocker gasket in my basket on Tegiwa). I just have two questions:

1) Is there any other parts I would need other than the above stated.

2) Is there anything else, common faults or such, that are worth doing while this work is being carried out? I do plan on getting the valve clearance checked at the same time. Car is on 107k with history up to 90k, but no sign of chain replacement or valve checks for reference.

There are a few strange noises/rattles coming from the engine bay at the moment, but I'm hoping the above will cure this.

Cheers.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My mates ep3 is on 150k, never had the valve clearances done, he's never cleaned the K&N i fitted for him 7 years ago, its gets driven hard and its still running fine on the original chain.

The chain should be fine at your mileage I'm my opinion.

A rattle on cold start up is normally a symptom of a stretched chain.

Sorry not sure what other parts you would need though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The strange rattle I mentioned doesn't seem to be on cold start, but does come in up to about 2-2.5k RPM, and then goes away completely. Going to check the PCV valve next time I get a chance, see if theres any sign of this being the noise I'm hearing.

Ironically, I also now seem to have a gearbox whine on lift off after recently having the gearbox oil changed. No idea what's going on there. Fixed one issue with notchy gears, and seem to have created another.

The timing chain change is purely from personal paranoia I guess. I've chopped and changed my mind for the last couple of weeks on whether to bother doing it or not.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a rattle when the revs are dropping from around 3k to 2k, also if you give it quite a lot of throttle at very low rpm it makes a rattle type noise. All seem to be pretty common from what I've read and seen. I also have a slight gearbox whine in 2nd gear.
A weighted gearbox really helped smooth the gear change out.

The noise at 12 seconds on this video is the same noise that I have.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mine is a 1.8 and on 110k and makes a diesel like rattle when cold.

Valves adjusted and good oil dropped in too which has lowered the rattle but it's still there.

Completely goes away after a few miles.

From what I've researched, unless the chain is making crazy amounts of noise that doesn't go away then one should just live with the cold start rattle.

I stand to be corrected if this is wrong however!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest, i think I've read just about every thread on here about timing chains, but for me, personally, I'd just like that peace of mind to know that a major potential issue, is a non issue. As such, with the (misdirected) confidence of a few Vodkas, I've just bought a new chain, tensioner, guides and gasket. I don't think I could be fully confident in the car otherwise, and it is just a personal thing. Probably more so since I've came from diesel ownership since I passed my test, and revving so high is still taking some getting used to. I do get why others would choose to continue running a factory chain though. Each to their own and all that.

The initial question remains though: is there anything worth changing/replacing in the process?

At this point, I think my cars been hit with every common fault I've found:

Roof rust
Foot well Leak
Boot Leak (Lake)
Notchy Gearbox
High bite point
(Probably) PCV Valve

...and probably a few others. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the car, but I want to make sure its solid for the long haul, and capable of taking a bit of a beating when the right foot feels the need.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well the fact you've bought everything means you might as well do it now!!

That guy changed the chain in a 1.8 and it's literally milimeters difference between a new and old chain.

I would do a bit more research before doing the chain as it's quite an undertaking...

·
Registered
259 Posts
The rattle your getting between 2-2.5k could be an exhaust heat shield, the ep3 used to get a rattle at that rpm and it was normally the headshield over one of the driveshafts that was corroded and loose.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, which? 🤣 🤣 :love:
OP appears to have bought the chain, tensioner etc already!

Timing Chains exist to need less maintenance than belts! They are a bit noiser and harsh compared to a belt but even that can be engineered out. Some of the 4 cylinder VW chain driven engines are pretty refined.

I've read that other owners of different cars have even changed chain, tensioner etc to have exactly the same cold rattle sound. I think it might be an accepted design tolerance. Cold rattles is just the oil needing to move around the engine interior I think...

·
4,586 Posts
I think that you missed my point. In the first sentence you suggested he does it now, and in the next, you suggested he does a bit more research. The latter does not imply 'now', but 'later' and left me a bit confused as to what suggestion that you were making.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ah I meant the fact OP has bought all the bits they might as well change it.

I personally wouldn't or not until it shows signs of breaking but they want the peace of mind of replacing everything. It would just suck to replace it and still get the same rattle!

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Get someone competent to have a look at your car, like Honda HQ for example. It will be hard to guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They dont tend to just break at once. If im correct you can have it checked on wear.
Indicator to have it replaced is when you hear a mechanical rattle out of youre engine that gets worse over a lot of km`s.
My car has now 220k on it and its runs smooth with no sings of wear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To be honest, i think I've read just about every thread on here about timing chains, but for me, personally, I'd just like that peace of mind to know that a major potential issue, is a non issue. As such, with the (misdirected) confidence of a few Vodkas, I've just bought a new chain, tensioner, guides and gasket. I don't think I could be fully confident in the car otherwise, and it is just a personal thing. Probably more so since I've came from diesel ownership since I passed my test, and revving so high is still taking some getting used to. I do get why others would choose to continue running a factory chain though. Each to their own and all that.

The initial question remains though: is there anything worth changing/replacing in the process?

At this point, I think my cars been hit with every common fault I've found:

Roof rust
Foot well Leak
Boot Leak (Lake)
Notchy Gearbox
High bite point
(Probably) PCV Valve

...and probably a few others. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the car, but I want to make sure its solid for the long haul, and capable of taking a bit of a beating when the right foot feels the need.
Its a 13 year old car, all cars have problems as they age regardless.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've read some suggestion that it's how a car is treated when new that depends on whether or rattles from cold but I do know that almost everything says don't bother changing it unless the noise is abnormal and persistent.

I accept the rattle from cold from my car. It's fine at operational temperature and so is the performance. One of the main advantages of chains is they don't just snap like a belt does so it makes routine preventative changes defunct.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts