2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Chains do stretch and can causes lots of damage. My parents had a Mercedes C class from brand new and it had done 80,000 miles when the chain stretched, jumped some teeth and bent all the intake valves and damaged the pistons. So a cold start rattle can be the signs of very expensive repairs. It's had no other symptoms, drove perfect just a slight two seconds rattle on cold starts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Chains do stretch and can causes lots of damage. My parents had a Mercedes C class from brand new and it had done 80,000 miles when the chain stretched, jumped some teeth and bent all the intake valves and damaged the pistons. So a cold start rattle can be the signs of very expensive repairs. It's had no other symptoms, drove perfect just a slight two seconds rattle on cold starts.
Did it give any indication it was letting go?

Wouldn't be an expensive repair for me, it would be new car time... Changing the oil, valve clearances etc has reduced the rattle so I'm currently not too concerned.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's started to misfire. I repaired it myself and it ran well for a few thousand miles before I sold it.
Not every cold start rattle is a chain though so it might not be that in your case. Wouldn't take long to check the timing. If it's slightly stretched the timing will be slightly out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's started to misfire. I repaired it myself and it ran well for a few thousand miles before I sold it.
Not every cold start rattle is a chain though so it might not be that in your case. Wouldn't take long to check the timing. If it's slightly stretched the timing will be slightly out.
Mine sounds like the chain as it's a diesel like rattle for the first two or so miles. My 1.8 is hoarse sounding but I can tell that atleast is just how the engine is intended to be. Might experiment with different engine oils as it used to run on 5w-30 but is down to 0w-30. Should replace the PCV valve too, mine might have lost 1/4 oil from the top in 1k miles too...

·
Registered
254 Posts
There aren't all that many options into what it might be on mine.

Doubt it's the exhaust heat shield as it's definitely a mechanical rattle.

Don't think PCV make that noise when breaking.

Maybe the Dealer messed up my valve clearance.

Maybe I just need to do another good oil change or just to thrash the car for a few miles to open everything up...

·
Registered
358 Posts
How loud is the rattle? I suddenly got a rattle on my FN2 when cold last year or the year before. Thought for sure the chain was going. Turns out it was my crankshaft pulley coming apart and slapping the engine block. Was faint in the beginning but quite a bit louder by the time I got it changed. Took me a while to find what was wrong.

Edit: The rattle also disappeared when the car was warm, that's why I thought I had a chain problem.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Car sounds like an actual diesel for the first mile or two then quickly settles down into a regular gruff petrol sound.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Mine sounds like the chain as it's a diesel like rattle for the first two or so miles. My 1.8 is hoarse sounding but I can tell that atleast is just how the engine is intended to be. Might experiment with different engine oils as it used to run on 5w-30 but is down to 0w-30. Should replace the PCV valve too, mine might have lost 1/4 oil from the top in 1k miles too...
My 1.8 petrol 9th Gen is definitely quieter having moved from 0w30 to 5w30

·
Registered
358 Posts
Was it intake VTC gear?
No, sorry. Crankshaft pulley as in the harmonic balancer. External pulley that drives the aux belt. These have a rubber ring to absorb and dampen vibrations and come apart with age as the rubber gets brittle.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
My 1.8 petrol 9th Gen is definitely quieter having moved from 0w30 to 5w30
Most folk on here swear by 0w-30 or even 0w-20. Maybe I'll try 5w-30 again, as according to what SH I have my car used that. Helpful as that grade oil is cheaper :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does the 5w make that much difference? From what I've read it suggests that 0w is always synthetic but some 5w can be semi. Functionally same in UK weather but I'll try something different next oil change. Maybe Castrol Edge instead of Magnatec

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I use 5w30 fully synthetic from Smith & Allan - I would not use a semi syn - 5w vs 0w is a non issue IMHO with the temps we see in the UK - if I wanted to drive to the Arctic circle I'd be putting in 0w (y)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I remember about 15 years ago there was talk about Castrol being able to label their Magnatec as Fully Synth despite being only Semi.

No idea if that was true or not. I'll try 5w-30 Castrol Edge for my next change maybe. Or something known to be higher quality since it's a cheaper grade anyway.

·
i-Vtec
3,492 Posts
@Negativvv I don't think your issue is the type of oil if your engine sounds like a diesel for the first couple of miles. A knackered timing chain wouldn't go quiet after a couple of miles either. Was it the same before the valve adjustment?

·
Registered
254 Posts
@Negativvv I don't think your issue is the type of oil if your engine sounds like a diesel for the first couple of miles. A knackered timing chain wouldn't go quiet after a couple of miles either. Was it the same before the valve adjustment?
To be honest i can't remember. Was all sorts going on when I first got the car. It had been sat still for the best part of a year before I bought it.

It certainly sounds and goes a lot better after oil and filter changes, spark plugs, air filter, valve adjustment and a good thrashing. Just the cold start rattle that remains now.

Economy has edged up since I got all that done too. But not a huge leap. I might do the PCV, haven't pinched it yet to test it tho.

·
i-Vtec
3,492 Posts
I wonder if they did the valves when the engine was cold? IIRC there are two sets of measurements, one cold and one for a hot engine. If they did it hot and used the cold measurements, It may be that when warm the gap is closing when hot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
To be honest i can't remember. Was all sorts going on when I first got the car. It had been sat still for the best part of a year before I bought it.

It certainly sounds and goes a lot better after oil and filter changes, spark plugs, air filter, valve adjustment and a good thrashing. Just the cold start rattle that remains now.

Economy has edged up since I got all that done too. But not a huge leap. I might do the PCV, haven't pinched it yet to test it tho.
Try and get a video of your cold start rattle, it would help us determine if it is a chain noise.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts