2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This week im taking the plunge and starting my driving instructors course.

Ive been in touch with the AA regarding prices eg staying with them and using an AA car but I would rather go down the route of starting on my own from the off. So going to buy a new Ford Fiesta I think.

I would just like to get in touch with a few current driving instructors just to see which route did you go down eg start on your own or stay with a driving school for a short time, best place to get insurances from.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hi Murray, I did look in to this a few years ago, trouble with AA/RAC is that you have to earn a lot of money because of their cut, they may supply cars and pupils but you are not your own boss, I would lease a car, or even look for a private driving school, looking for instructors, when you get your part 2 as you will probably earn more money, good luck. :D

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Hi,

This week im taking the plunge and starting my driving instructors course.

Ive been in touch with the AA regarding prices eg staying with them and using an AA car but I would rather go down the route of starting on my own from the off. So going to buy a new Ford Fiesta I think.

I would just like to get in touch with a few current driving instructors just to see which route did you go down eg start on your own or stay with a driving school for a short time, best place to get insurances from.

Many thanks in advance.
I am and I train people to become one as well.

I probably wouldnt buy a car just now, unless you dont have one to use for Part 2.
If you look through my website you will see the stats for last year about pass rates for Parts 1, 2 and 3. When I did mine it was a 26.9% pass rate at the time. It hasnt changed much either.

I originally went through The Instructor College but quickly realised I wouldnt get what I was going to need to pass. I enrolled a private trainer, a Grade 6, and I still go back to him today for further training of any sort.
This is the better route I feel.

As for the car, I took trainee from BSM which I left as soon as I had passed, 6 months. I worked with another local company to get more experience using someone elses car, 6 months.

I would suggest using someone elses for at least 6 months as you will no doubt kerb wheels and experience all sorts of...issues, for use of a better word.

I then worked for 5 years with another company (eventually as a director with them as well) using a 52 plate Polo Sport of my own.
This was also a good move.

I left last year to set up on my own now using the lovely Type S GT, thats why I am here.

Please PM if you feel you have a load of questions or just need another viewpoint. I would be more than happy to help if I can.

:)

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
Something I have also considered many many times ! Stu you could find yourself answering a LOT of questions :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts