2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you traded in your previous beloved Civic TypeR in order to get a new 06 model Civic? If so:

1. Which new model did you buy (e.g. petrol or diesel)?

2. What were your main reason(s) for trading in/selling the TypeR and choosing the new 06 Civic?
(For example, perhaps a change of lifestyle :shock: / Fuel & insurance costs :( / Fancied a relaxing drive 8) / Like the 06 and can’t wait for the new TypeR :evil: / Just fancied a change etc. etc.)

3. Overall are you pleased with the new Civic or do you have regrets?

4. And the biggie… Any of you consider your change as permanent or will you still be the first to consider buying the new TypeR when it’s finally out?

Oooh so many questions! Don't get me wrong - I love both the previous generation TypeR and the new '06 model. However, things change - so just wondering if any of you have?

I look forward to your thoughts!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there deejayh I traded in a Nighthawk black 52 plate CTR for a CIVIC 06 iCTDI EX. Did ok on the part ex getting 50% back of the original purchase price of the Type R.

Main reasons were
1. 75000 miles on the type R.
2. I do about 300-400 miles a week so cost of fuel and tyres was a factor.

No regrets changing. I have already covered about 3500 miles and enjoy the civic. I'm turning into a bit of a miser though and keep trying to get more mpg every fill up. lol. Hey I even got £50 back from Direct Line as the insurance was cheeper for the 6 months left on my poilicy.

The ride is good less tramlining and road noise is greatly reduced from the type r. All in all much more relaxing drive. Loads of toys to keep me entertained in the traffic jams on the M6 too.

I'll definately look at the new type R when released but will probably keep this car until 3 years and MOT time by then I'll proably be up to 70 odd thousand again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Traded my 03 Milano A/C. I did about 29k in 20 months. Now got an ex demo CDTI 2.2 sport.
Fancied a change before the new Type R. Hoped to be in a good position in 2 years , but now looking at 3. :cry:
Miss the power and the noise, esp on a nice sunny day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys!

TheRef - I think you did very well on the part ex - my car is a silver 03 with A/C and 25k miles. When asked for a ball park figure for trade-in against a new 2.2dti ES, I was told my TypeR was worth about £9-£10k. Ouch. (Methinks I'd be better of keeping it for another half a year and 50k miles...!).

I can understand your comments about the new car being less tiring to drive; for a few months I had to drive similar distances regularly myself. Although my mileage is low again at the moment, it seems likely that the longer journeys will return for me soon.
On many of the long journeys, I did find the TypeR's tramlining and fidgety nature to be rather tiring, especially whilst on the B roads. This surprised me a little - however I guess the car is happier on the better quality surfaces typically offerred here in the UK by motorways and A roads.
I later travelled along one of the same journeys in an '06 diesel ES (courtesy car). My speed - and the driving conditions - were comparable, but I found the newer model much more relaxing. As you also point out, the new toys are very nice!

BigARG - thanks; I think you have provided the other side of the coin for me - the TypeR is indeed a great and addictive car. Like yourself, if I continue to do a relatively low annual mileage, I fear that I will also miss it if I change it.

Think I'll hold off trading in my car for a new one until one of the following happens:
a) I find my mileage going up significantly again or b) the new TypeR is released!

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just swapped my 05 Type R (NHB + AC) for a 2.2iCDTi EX with 18" Storms Leather, P-Roof and Reverse Camera.(got a good deal and didn't loose much). Only had it a week, but cannot see me going back. This car has everything! It's quiet, quick enough in the mid range for me not to miss the Type R and has managed 48MPG on the first tank :D
It does not get much better!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2002 CTR, before 350Z and WR1 but gone for a 2.2 with Storms as I've just bought a house and can't afford £300/month on petrol and 5k services :shock:

·
Registered
71 Posts
lost-again said:
Just swapped my 05 Type R (NHB + AC) for a 2.2iCDTi EX with 18" Storms Leather, P-Roof and Reverse Camera.(got a good deal and didn't loose much). Only had it a week, but cannot see me going back. This car has everything! It's quiet, quick enough in the mid range for me not to miss the Type R and has managed 48MPG on the first tank :D
It does not get much better!
I thought that at first. But driving home after work on a sunny day especially at the weekend i do miss having a good blast. Or overtaking someone with their window open at 8000rpm. :twisted: Def want the next one, but it seems to be slipping further away from me. :cry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't miss it, but that is probably because I have an S2000 in the garage for the fun :lol: I am likely to get an :evil: off a few for saying it, but the Type R never quite lived up to the thrill (or sound) from the S! Great car and performance for the money though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Accord Type R -> Civic Type S/R

I've got an Accord Type R with 95K on the clock and will be changing March 2007 to a new Civic, either a Type S in Vivid Blue or the Type R in red!!

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Well, still driving Civic with VTI engine. Although a bit less potent than CTR, it's one of world's best 1.6 engines. It just screams to be pushed.
But, the car is 9 years old, and it's time for something new. With 7th gen, I was disgusted with looks (only CTR was quite OK), so I never thought of buying a new Civic.... untill 8th gen came!
Now, waiting for car to arrive... probably another month and a half for it to arrive.
I will keep old car though to beat on when I feel like it - also when save some $$$ to do some modifications.

But, new Civic is much more comfy car, with all the gadgets, and will be used for going to work, trips, etc.. and with way it is, should be much more relaxed drive than with old one (again, old one just asks to be pushed.. it's real 'devil' :D)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts