2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wondering if anyone has gone for wheel alignment or new tyres since the lockdown has come about.

I've tried Kwikfit and a local independent garage, all of which were shut at 1PM.

I'm presuming they'll reopen on Monday, or are they all closed?

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
my local kwikfit still open as normal and works Sundays
the 1 in next town does not open Sundays at any time so it is down to individual branches

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Our local F1 autocentre was open this week and they have one in Leicester. Not sure if these places are operating on appointment only basis at the moment. One local chain is picking cars up from home, doing the work and delivering back. Disinfecting on collection and return.

Still need to get my tracking done, but working during the week and had other stuff to sort at weekends.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My alignment is quite a bit out. I'll ring around a few wheel alignment shops tomorrow if all else fails, hopefully my usual place is open on Monday.

I've neglected alignment after doing suspension work before and within a hundred miles the insides of the tyres were nearly to the cords.

Rather annoyingly I've been ripped off on eBay as well, and need to order another part. Hopefully my local scrappy is open on Monday.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our local F1 autocentre was open this week and they have one in Leicester. Not sure if these places are operating on appointment only basis at the moment. One local chain is picking cars up from home, doing the work and delivering back. Disinfecting on collection and return.

Still need to get my tracking done, but working during the week and had other stuff to sort at weekends.
Did you put new tie rod ends on in the end?

I've made a new thread, but I've had a right issue due to my new tie rod ends. Back in March I noticed they were a bit longer than the ones I removed. I went back to ECP with the new & old showed them the issue and they said the ones they sold me were the only ones listed. So I went to Parkers and they also came out with the ones too long.

So I just installed the longer ones and I went for tracking today, and due to the tie rod ends being too long they cannot get it into spec.

I've managed to get some hassle from my driver side ABS sensor as well. Teething issues, I guess.

Car pulls 10X better than before. Pulls like a train in every gear. 100% on a remap.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I fitted new Febi Bilstein track rod ends and they were the same length as those I took off. This meant I could just slacken the lock nut, put the new ends on and tighten the lock nut without affecting the tracking too much. It should be there or thereabouts but I will get it checked.

I take it they won’t screw on enough before bottoming our on the threads. These are the ones I bought RHS and LHS

Length is specified as 208mm

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I used the exact same brand.

Maybe someone has changed the rack in my car before and used a shorter rack out of a different Honda. It's Cat D and I think the damage was front end. It isn't hard to damage a steering rack. But if the rack was damaged it'd be structural category write off. Very bizarre.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
The track rods can be replaced at the inner steering gaitor. Perhaps a longer/shorter one has been fitted at some time which would at least be easier to swap than getting the rack out.

Do you know if the tracking was in spec before swapping the rod ends?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The track rods can be replaced at the inner steering gaitor. Perhaps a longer/shorter one has been fitted at some time which would at least be easier to swap than getting the rack out.

Do you know if the tracking was in spec before swapping the rod ends?
I had new front tyres fitted about January or February time and had the alignment done as a precaution. It was in spec, I'll measure the old ones and get correct measurements shortly. I have the old passenger one in the boot.

If worse comes to the worst, I'll just cut the ones I have down.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My old one is 20CM so 200MM. If I was to measure it with pin point accuracy, it'd probably be 208MM.

The ones I have from ECP are "Starline" brand.

Edit: GSF stock them at 208MM. They want £72.40 inc VAT EACH.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I think Starline is their own brand. I paid £21.70 each for the febi items and they’re a brand I’m familiar with.

unfortunately the length of the Starline isn’t in the description on the Eurocarparts site.

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
I should have 1 or maybe a pair from my 8g along with some antiroll bar bushes and drop links
I know I never fitted them but cant seem to find them
if I do ill measure them up
if they were any good id send them but think they've gone walkabout
something worth looking at is try put something down the hole on each see if they both have similar amount of thread
maybe the cheaper ones don't have deep enough thread

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think Starline is their own brand. I paid £21.70 each for the febi items and they’re a brand I’m familiar with.

unfortunately the length of the Starline isn’t in the description on the Eurocarparts site.
Yeah, I was trying to see if they had the measurements on there. I think GSF are ordering directly from Honda at them prices.

I should have 1 or maybe a pair from my 8g along with some antiroll bar bushes and drop links
I know I never fitted them but cant seem to find them
if I do ill measure them up
if they were any good id send them but think they've gone walkabout
something worth looking at is try put something down the hole on each see if they both have similar amount of thread
maybe the cheaper ones don't have deep enough thread
I'm hoping Parkers are open tomorrow and will ask them to try and get length measurements and see if they can source 208MM ones. Although with the pandemic and them being closed early, I doubt they'll be open on a bank holiday.

I'd presume yours will also be 208MM, as they seem to be the standard fitment for the diesel and base model Civic's. Apparently Type R's have different tie rod ends, maybe ECP has accidentally labelled the Type R ones under the Type S's as well.

I'll get a normal 2.2 CDTI Civic reg off the net and see if I get better results.
Edit: Same parts on ECP for the diesel type S and normal diesel model, and the exact same part for the Type R.
Exact same part numbers on the ECP site:

Update: All sites say the Type R has the same 208MM tie rod ends. So god knows what the ones I have are actually made for.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Done it now, I managed to get one the correct size from a small parts merchants. However the other new one was a CM longer, so I cut the difference off with a grinder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts