2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of a driving holiday to Spain next year, just wondering if anyone here has done it coming from the Uk, I’ll be coming from Northern Ireland but that just adds a couple more hours and expenses.
Any tips or advice would be great

·
i-Vtec
4,269 Posts
I haven't, but whilst in Alicante last year spoke to a couple who did. They sailed to Santander (yes its a place and not a bank) and drove cross country from there. It avoids France and the uniformed Robbers on the Motorways known as the Gendarmerie.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been thinking about doing it since last year, the civic has plenty of space for luggage and I love driving. Really just want to hit the road on a good driving holiday.
It’s one thing looking up online about routes and everything but I thought I’d post on here to see if anyone’s done it, experience is better than the essays you get online at times ?

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I've rode through France over the Pyrenees down to Barcelona, I found France a more enjoyable ride. However Spain is not bad to drive around albeit a little Barron at times. We traveled from Pool to Le Harve. As mentioned, just be careful on the French Motorways as the clock you between tolls and fine you there and then! Speed cameras in Spain are in what look like water butts and ground level on their Motorways.

Reactions: Farqui

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up on the cameras, I’m looking forward to the drive.
They use kph there don’t they? I’ve seen the mph/kph button in the car, when I go over I’ll have to see about changing it just while I’m there so I don’t get caught out

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
The large central speed readout is great in the 8th gen and flicking from mph to kph is a doddle.

It's a feature I really miss now when we hop over to the continent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love it, 2nd 8th gen civic now, I love the layout of the cockpit, I find it comfy. I’ve driven my mums car and my granny’s and I just can’t get used to the old needle speedo ?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I have family in France and as a result have driven over there and all over the place plenty of times. Never been down into Spain with the car though as yet. I have driven around Spain in a rental car a bit though.

I much prefer driving around France over Spain or the UK for that matter!

In France;
  • people indicate and they do it until they have completed their manoeuvre
  • people drive at the speed limit of the road, meaning not crazy fast but also, not doing 10-20kph under the limit as you often get in the UK
  • people only move into the outer lanes when they overtake and then pull back in instead of just cruising in the middle lane blocking traffic
  • motorbikes say thank you if you leave a little extra room for them to pass you, by sticking their foot out.
  • every speed camera has plenty of warning signs. The cameras themselves may not be yellow but if you see a sign for cameras, you can bet there will be one soon, so if you get flashed, it's on you!
  • the roads are blissfully empty in most long stretches
  • Most lorries are not allowed on roads on Sundays
  • Services on motorways are far more frequent than in the UK and incredibly well-kept

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: MilanoFN2

·
Registered
513 Posts
Personally I wouldn't want to drive abroad in my Civic. It's tiring driving long distance, I'd rather fly out & get a rental in a foreign country.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just love driving, I remember saying that to someone before I passed my test that I’m gonna love it and they told me that the novelty would wear off, but still enjoying it 6 years later ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still a bit torn between my diesel or a type r ? essentially want to turn it into a fake r ? mapped, I seen somewhere on the forums that the fn2 front seats fit into it. A lot of stuff I want to do to it, the idea of “is it worth it” keeps popping up and just go for the type r instead. Just the long drives I want to be doing is keeping me with the diesel ?

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Drove from Manchester to Barcelona. Took approx 24 hours of non stop driving shared between 5 of us only stopping for fuel and food.

Was a last minute decision due to cancelled flight so zero planning.

Can't remember the route but only tip I can give is ensure you have breakdown cover. Despite us being in brand new car we had blow out on way down and turbo issue on way back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I’m gonna make sure that I’ve got everything covered in case anything does happen, wouldn’t want to be caught out with any problems on the way

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Hi mate, i drove to spain from kent(south east) in may 2018 to see the spanish grand prix, we got the ferry from dover to bilbau and drove through spain and return from santander to dover for 2 weeks, the civic was amazing, cruise control on the toll roads was smooth, quiet and actually abit boring lol theres lots of long straights but she never let me down i have the 2.2 diesel and did just under 2000 miles we had a mini break in spain too but was an amazing drive and glad i didnt take the mother in laws car lol fiat 500l 1.3D lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not driven but have ridden a motorbike through Spain. Caught the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander (long ferry crossing) and then rode down to Barcelona. Not really any different to driving in any other European country but to state the obvious it gets bloody hot in Spain (depending what time of year it is). It was hitting close to 40C at times. The only thing that would put me off driving my own car down there would be driving a RHD car on the wrong side of the road (not an issue on a bike).

·
Registered
171 Posts
We took our bikes to Spain, Pyrenees side in the back of a lwb van.

The drive was long, and personally driving through France was so boring on the highways. It's super straight forever lol

Not done it in a car, would expect it to be a lot better. We did have a right laugh though between us.

My motives are different as in getting my bikes to Spain easiest way, so next time we will do the Ferry and book a cabin.

Contrary to what some people may think, they French are super nice and friendly in my experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts