2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

My dealer just quoted me £100 for the spare wheel (expected) and then £50 to fit it in the back! (not expected!)

Has anyone fitted one of these in themselves? Is it easy enough.

many thanks
Roger

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
My dealer quoted me the same thing, so I said "No"

Then I phoned up parts and got it for £100; the dealer then fit it for me! (I kept my mouth shut)

It's quite easy to do, but not very.

You have to rip up the carpet from the "hidden area" and stick down foam blocks in the right place.

But to remove the carpet the dealer removed by rubber boot trim and the plastic trim on the "back" of the boot (on the inside, the hard plastic trim)

It's do-able definitely and it's very easy if you have instructions; but it does seem a little fiddly.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Roger Harris said:
Hi Folks,

My dealer just quoted me £100 for the spare wheel (expected) and then £50 to fit it in the back! (not expected!)

Has anyone fitted one of these in themselves? Is it easy enough.

many thanks
Roger
They are really taking the pi$$ - The price of the accessory includes fitting.

In FACT, if you buy many accessories from the parts department such as the mats, they are actually cheaper because they are not being fitted.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Try phoning up (if it's a larger place) and ask for parts instead of servicing.

It's servicing who said (actually £135 to me) so I phoned up parts and said I want it on it's own (£100) and they fitted it!

Just make sure that the tyre is obviously built for £100 as they have to put the tyre on the wheel.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
parts man fitted

the parts man fitted mine without removing the carpet just stuck foam pads to the carpet and making a small cut in the carpet for the fixing bolt took less than 10 mins
No charge for fitting

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Re: parts man fitted

geoff said:
the parts man fitted mine without removing the carpet just stuck foam pads to the carpet and making a small cut in the carpet for the fixing bolt took less than 10 mins
No charge for fitting
I wish he'd done that on mine; it'd me much nicer with the carpet still there!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine cost £100 fitted.
It comes with a nift luggage net, which hopefully will hold lots of other things apart from a road tyre, and a plastic bag for the damaged tyre.
Still lots of space left in and around the tyre well for those odds and sods that need to be stored somewhere.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Honda100 said:
Mine cost £100 fitted.
It comes with a nift luggage net, which hopefully will hold lots of other things apart from a road tyre, and a plastic bag for the damaged tyre.
Still lots of space left in and around the tyre well for those odds and sods that need to be stored somewhere.
Did you just get the one net? I got two somehow so I'm thinking of using one of them as storage.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
The carpet should still be fitted, but with a hole for the fixing bolt. Yet another dodgy dealer??

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
MC Hammer said:
The carpet should still be fitted, but with a hole for the fixing bolt. Yet another dodgy dealer??
I wouldn't be suprised. When I phoned about something today they said that what I wanted couldn't be done; John Pease immediatly went "OK"

Is there anywhere we can get Honda parts direct, not via a dealer??

Oh and my "dealer" hadn't fitted the matt restraint properly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes just the one net, but a very nice net all the same.
I have it jammed next to the pump on the right hand side of the boot so that I can get at it easily.

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Space Saver - No Thanks!

After having experienced a space saver I am more than happy to go without and clean the gunk out myself if it comes down to it. Most of the punctures I've had, especially those on low profiles, usually result in the tyre being junked any way.

:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts