2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of the timing chain lottery on these Bmw engines, I also know that it is a diesel and the engines character is so different than the FN2 which I absolutely adore, BUT:

I've recently had a change in circumstances where I now do 20 miles commuting to work each day, (400 or so a month) plus another 600 personal miles floating around to friends and outside of work. This takes me to 1000. On top of this I now have once a fortnight a 300 mile motorway round trip. Total monthly mileage is around 1600 now give or take.

It's not even about the fuel economy, although the FN2 is averaging mid to high 20s which is costing a fair bit, as opposed to mid 40s which I'm led to believe the 123 will do over similar journeys. Pretty much half the fuel. But here's the main problem i have. Find a good road and the FN2 is amazing fun, on a track I have no doubt it would be not the fastest thing but one of the most fun, but for 90% of my driving its compromised as I'm either in 30 limits, stop start traffic or motorway traffic. It's bumpy, it's crashy, the turning circle is crap, it likes a drink, the visibility is crap out the rear. On the motorway it gets draining and droney at 5500+ revs in 6th with the cruise xontrol. I just worry that for that 10% of the time I will really miss the vtec, the chick ability, the amazing gearbox, the sound of that engine! I really do adore the car and look after it like a baby, always allowing it to warm up, regularly cleaning it, avoiding potholes etc. It's a great source of entertainment for 10% of the time, but for 90% it's just a big compromise and in my opinion not suited to daily usage, which defeats the whole point of having a hatch!

I adore the look of the 123d M Sport coupes. They remind me of the old 3 series and from reviews they handle well but should be a good compromise of motorway car, commuter and fun car all in one. Two cars isn't an option unfortunately.

Am i crazy for having these thoughts ?has anyone had both and can compare or tell me what they're like to live with?

I'm seeing 123ds with EGR delete, DPF delete and a remap showing a reliable 260bhp....

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I was in your position about 6 months ago. I sold my FN2, only lasted 4 months before I had to change back.
Speaking from experience, and a good few grand later. If you're unsure, don't do it. Until you don't have the civic anymore, you don't know how good it is.

If there's room in your budget, maybe a second car, a cheap run around to clock up most of those miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
I had a 120D Convertible for a while and did not like it one bit, I strongly suggest an extended test drive. Mine had the common BMW airbag light on and to be honest didn't drive great.

I really don't know what direction BMW are headed in at the moment, feels like they are on a downward trend at the moment, certainly not streets ahead of the competition like I used to feel they were and justified the tag "ultimate driving machine"...perhaps that is only applicable to "M" cars now?

What the hell are they doing design wise now as well with the likes of the 3 and 5 series GT cars they are awful.

I think Audi have caught up if not gone past BMW.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't a DPF delete an MOT Failure?

I only ask this as a question as I read it was, so wondering if it's refitted or something for the MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

It is a failure Yep - they do a visual inspection, so if there's a pipe there they can't/don't check what's inside the pipe

Rumour has it soon they will be looking to do heat tests to see if the DPF is hot like it should be if in place

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
It is a failure Yep - they do a visual inspection, so if there's a pipe there they can't/don't check what's inside the pipe

Rumour has it soon they will be looking to do heat tests to see if the DPF is hot like it should be if in place
aaah cool, thanks for that. I was confused about that lol.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
My mate installed a longer 6th on his dc5 to help fuel economy. I did similar to my dc2.

Keep the FN2 mate. My diesel gets on my nerves to be honest. Guess I'm just a petrol engine lover. I keep looking at FN2 prices but they're not low enough for me to change yet. I've been hit enough with the depreciation of my 2.2!!

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
P.S. I will take you out in my DC2 on motorway to show you what droney really is!! ;)

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I'm on my second FN2, I had one in 2009, sold it for a 330d - big mistake!

The BMW's are generally high maintenance, goes into £1000's easily. They don't feel bullet proof like the FN2 does, as I always felt a bit cautious to drive the 330d hard as it wasn't mechanically great (even with full BMW S/H with approx £6000 invoices).

Also, I missed the excitement the FN2 delivered, even though it's not the fastest hot hatch, but it's fast enough for road use and mechanically feels very well built and durable.

Even though the CTR may have slightly higher fuel bills, it could work out to be cheaper in the long run compared to BMW's very high maintenance bills

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Never had one but BMW certainly do appear to have lost their way, especially recently.

Have always fancied one but less so these days.

There appear to be so many unhappy owners/former owners out there.

Appreciate the honest, real world feedback.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I wouldn't take the chance on a 123d, much as it's a punchy little engine it's just not the same as their (impressive) 6 cylinder diesels and is more likely to come back and bite you to boot. They're also not really that economical, your 40ish mpg will be on a run where the FN2 would be able to sit at about 10mpg less, a far cry from half the cost.

If you like the 1, a 130i would be a much better bet imo - the last of the reliable BMW petrol 6's, cracking power delivery, reasonably economical, reasonably refined, find one with idrive and xenons and it feels a bit more rounded than the civic too - just a bit lacking in overall space vs the Civic.

The comment above about cost of repair, my experience with BMW is that parts wise they're actually much of a muchness with Honda (who are notably more expensive than the european manufacturers) and so long as you don't have a car that needs to go into BMW themselves every week it shouldn't be too bad, if you pick the right model. They also do an absolutely excellent fully comp warranty for cars that have covered under 60k for something like £40 a month on the 1

·
Gary
3,100 Posts
I have been in your position 9 times now mate, end up selling my civic and trying something different but always end up back in a civic.

I have had st mps vxr bmw etc the driving and interior cannot be matched in any other car I have went for.

And tbh with my bm I had nothing but problem with my dpf kept regenerating.

My mate has a 320i and he has just had a lovely bill of 600 pound for a new fuse box due to a common fault of a wire breaking

Keep the civic bud you will regret it if you get rid of it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts