2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, anyone on here into home fitness?

Got a spare room, been using it to do cardio and weights.

Thinking about putting some home fitness equipment in there. A pull up station and maybe eventually a treadmill. I use a push bike for building up stamina currently.

Any recommendations of what's good to have?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Diversity is important, with rest periods, perhaps a couple of days if you've been 'intense'.

I've had to change through some small bone fragments in my shoulders - no more 500+ press-ups per day for me ...

I've an exercise bike, perform half-leg squats, squat-thrusts, sit-ups, use dumbbells ...

Eat well, not excessively ... find the balance which suits you.

Al.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diversity is important, with rest periods, perhaps a couple of days if you've been 'intense'.

I've had to change through some small bone fragments in my shoulders - no more 500+ press-ups per day for me ...

I've an exercise bike, perform half-leg squats, squat-thrusts, sit-ups, use dumbbells ...

Eat well, not excessively ... find the balance which suits you.

Al.
A good body is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I do a circuit training of exercise 5 times a week and a day of leg workouts, weighted squats, jump squats etc. Then on Sunday, I might go on a push bike ride and push myself up a couple of hills. I do about an hour and a half walk a day with my dog as well, and I'll jog up hills to push myself a little bit more.

My diet is pretty much intermittent fasting at the moment. I'm half a stone above my healthy BMI. I aim to drop to around 11.5 stone, I'm currently 13.3 stone, and 5'11.

I mainly do exercise for cardiovascular health, rather than to build my body up. I witnessed what obesity does to a human body first hand from my father, and don't plan on enduring the same health issues and misery myself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agree , it all starts in the kitchen. I have the opposite problem though as in I can't get enough calories in to gain decent weight. I was making good progress before lockdown then lost 5kg but I'm back on it now.

Always struggle with working out at home, properly anyway.
I find I need to be out or in the gym.

One thing I do consistently at home is pull ups, once or twice everyday.

If your ok training at home and have a spare room, would say go for it. Barbell, dumbbells and a simple bench would be good. Few steps and straps and some sort of bar and everything else can be improvised ( I'm no expert tho)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally wouldn't get a treadmill for home. Get into running and sprints instead. As you have a bike you can get a turbo trainer(Dyno thingy) for days when it's raining

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
This may sound silly, but a television on the wall can be a god send ! If you can sort of half watch while doing your routines it will help stop the boredom. I only use the dreaded turbo trainer when the roads are bad, and find it soul destroying without a distraction-- recorded cycle racing to watch for me, but any sport can be OK ,most time in front of the telly is wasted, so that's when you do your exercising !

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The turbo trainers seem to be very expensive, at least for a proper one (£600 ish.) Any of you have one? Can you change the resistance like you would changing gear or is it a constant same force?

Exercise at home is easy, I just listen to music.
I do 3 sets of
10 push ups
10 sit ups
10 burpees
10 squat thrusts
10 squats
20 ice skaters
20 touch downs
20 crunches

Also a 10 minute warm up exercise prior and then another 5-10 minutes cooling down after 3 sets.

Sometimes I add weight lifting in, depends on my mood. On my rest day I usually go for a push bike ride.

I plan on sinking some money into the room, getting some mirrors on the wall etc, mirrors help with posture etc when doing weights etc.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
My turbo trainer cost less than £100, has a flywheel and magnetic resistance -- about 6 levels I think. As the back wheel rests on a roller you can change gears as much as you want -- highest resistance plus your biggest gear- 52-13 in my case is very hard to pedal , but good for simulating hills. It currently has an old bike fixed to it and is used by Mrs Ericay as a warmup to her other stuff she has to do now her gym is closed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My turbo trainer cost less than £100, has a flywheel and magnetic resistance -- about 6 levels I think. As the back wheel rests on a roller you can change gears as much as you want -- highest resistance plus your biggest gear- 52-13 in my case is very hard to pedal , but good for simulating hills. It currently has an old bike fixed to it and is used by Mrs Ericay as a warmup to her other stuff she has to do now her gym is closed.
Where did you get it from, do you know the specific make and model you bought?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Bearing in mind I'm 60 now, I gave up on the Wii, but the exercise routine in that was quite fun, as well as the 'estimated age'!!

Al.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts