2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had diesal owners tell me to keep checking my engine oil on a brand new diesal as they had to top up during the first few thousand miles.

I have checked and my oil level seems fine at 4000miles on the clock, has anyone needed to top up their engine oil at all?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
The owners manual suggests you shouldnt [need to] replace oil before first service.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im still amazed that the first service is at 12,500 miles or 12 months (whichever is earliest), for diesals I think the norm is for the first service to be at 6000 miles!

I did ring 4 dealers to make sure they all had the same story and they werent just making it up! Sorry but I dont hold dealerships in high regard! :lol:

Go HONDA!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a chat to the dealer about this and according to the service manager the oil use rate is 1 Litre per 1000 miles.

Mine used 0.5 litre to do approx 1500 miles so its not bad really.

He also said that because the engines are made to do a high mileage the pistons purposfully let oil through to ensure extra efficient lubrication.

Thats the reason why you have those Castrol stickers seemingly everywhere!! :lol:

J :D

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Someone on the Honest John site claimed the diesel drank 1L of oil in 100 miles.

I think that's called a leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honest John and other motoring columns talk about the importance of oil changes for engine durability and suggest that this should be more frequently than manufacturers normal servicing schedules if planning for very high milages. I did this on my previous car - Mark 2 Nissan Micra 1.0- changing the oil at National outlets in between the normal dealer sercices. At 101,000 miles the engine felt as it did from new. I'm tempted to do the same with extra oil changes for the iCDTi from my Honda dealer. I will discuss this with the technical manager there. What do others think?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
A good idea DEK but be sure to use the right grade of oil. The diesel uses a fully synthetic 0-30W like Castrol Edge. It's around £45 for 4 litres and £14 for a 1 litre pack and for DIY you'll need 5.9 litres. If you get someone like National to change it, be sure they use the right grade

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
civicg, I think most diesels are up to the 12000 mile oil change, now.

From memory the Focus is either 10000 or 12000, petrol 12500.

Just as important as an oil change, is a filter change.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to ask what you guys probably will calla silly question...BUT... how do you guys know exactly how much oil your engine has used?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
civicg said:
Going to ask what you guys probably will calla silly question...BUT... how do you guys know exactly how much oil your engine has used?
Think about it, dipstick!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lol: ... NO I meant as in how many litres its lost, I use the dipstick as a indicator but it does not tel me how many litres it has lost! :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
When you top it up you can tell how much its used by how much you need to put in to get it back to the level it was at originally!

J :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you top it up you can tell how much its used by how much you need to put in to get it back to the level it was at originally!
You know when you ask a question and then get a answer and feel stupid because its so obvious! :p

Mines half way between the min and max dot, think I shoudl top up or wait another 4k and get it in the service?

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I always say, the more oil on your dip-stick, the better. 8) :lol:

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
horror at 130kms

comming back from france done about 1500 miles in a week checked oil before during trip

halfway home oil light comes on

now have used 3/4 litre of oil

will check with dealer good on diesel average about 48mpg really drops when you cruise at

high speeds

cheap on diesel dear on oil

1 - 20 of 31 Posts