2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title asks...anyone tried it and if so what is your thoughts and opinions? Does it look any good in the flesh? And if so any suggestions of the best place to get some?

Thanks in advance...[smilie=coolup.gif]

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I'm not certain just how tough / resistant Plastidip will be.

Alloys may look nice, when new / refurbed / nicely cleaned, but they get a lot of abuse under relatively normal road conditions, particularly when cold and the gritters have been out, or similarly on country roads or off-road.

The latter is not normal, but can happen and may cause a rip.
Al.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Agree with atom. Not sure whether it would be hard wearing enough.

Also when washing the wheels generally need a good direct blast with the pressure washer & brush to get brake dust off so dont know how it would cope with that?

For the price you may aswell have a go. Could save a bit of money if it works rather than getting them resprayed.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
...Could save a bit of money if it works rather than getting them resprayed.

Or be a complete waste of time and money. Might be a good reason why folk ain't tried it...

What are the effective operating temps of plasidip ? Rims get very, very hot when you abuse your brakes...

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Or be a complete waste of time and money. Might be a good reason why folk ain't tried it...

What are the effective operating temps of plasidip ? Rims get very, very hot when you abuse your brakes...
I think it could be handy.

If you were after getting your alloys done but not sure if the colour would suit you could bang on some plastidip see what it looks like and then just peel off.

I'm sure hondaft had done it on his dc5. Might be worth asking him how it was

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
I think it could be handy.

If you were after getting your alloys done but not sure if the colour would suit you could bang on some plastidip see what it looks like and then just peel off.

I'm sure hondaft had done it on his dc5. Might be worth asking him how it was
You could have a point, but think photoshop or some of the aftermarket wheel websites that offer a "view your car with these rims" facility would be easier / cheaper / better ?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you guys may be right about questioning how durable it will be on alloys. I was thinking about it to save some money on refurbishing but if this isn't a long(ish) term option then I don't think I'll bother. Be better to put the money towards the refurb!
Thank for all your input... :D

Reactions: messiahontrial

·
Registered
142 Posts
I plastidipped my wheels black around a month ago and they have stood up well so far with no mark or peeling and I have washed them Atleast twice a week. I only tried it as a guy in my work has started a plastidiping buisness and I must say so far I am impressed. Hope this helps dude

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers buddy but I would hope it would last a month but I was looking for six months to a year for me to consider it now after hearing the comments and thinking about it more...let me know in six months how they are holding up. :rolleyes:
Any close up pictures of your wheels...just out of curiousity...

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Tom8126 had his done with the gold metalizer on top. Looked brilliant, I had no idea they were plastidip either until I asked him about them! I saw the car a few times and there didn't seem to be any chips or peeling either.

·
Banned
7,705 Posts
As with anything it needs to be done properly. A mate of mine had his done and its lasted over a year so far.

4 cans are enough to do the job with plenty left over. At around £15 per can, quite a saving over having them powdercoated/sprayed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi mate, I plastidipped mine around 10 months ago and theyve been holding up fine :)

I had to re-do my front two right enough when I got new tyres fitted since the edges peeled slightly when the tyres went on. Apart from that though it is pretty strong stuff, no chips or peeling but one thing I would say is that it was an absolute nightmare getting off! I used about a can a wheel which should be thick enough but it peeled in tiny pieces and some of it was really tough to get off. Took me and a mate about 3 hours to get it off 2 wheels.

One thing I worried about at first was what cleaning products I could use on it so I used to just use warm water but I tried just about everything on them before I peeled it off and it held up fine :) any other questions just fire them away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts