2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car feels like it's running a bit stodgy, I do get a bit of a smell after vtec and wondered if the cat is a bit plugged. Has anyone used a cat cleaner on their fn2 before? If so, did it make any difference?

·
Enjoying life
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put something similar in my cooper s because it was coking up. All sorts of stuff blew out the exhaust and it did run better. Just wondering if the cat caused any issues over time?

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
I've not read anyone doing so or have cat issues on the type R but most are probably running de-cat anyway :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I think they mean the cataclean where they connect to your injectors and run some cleaning solution through the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Cataclean that you add to the fuel in your tank is the best stuff you can use.
I sell it at work and have heard nothing but rave reviews from the trade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Search google for the nearest place to you offering the Terraclean treatment service. Me and my dad have had it done to our cars and it makes the car feel brand new.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cataclean does the exact same thing as Terraclean for a tenth of the price except it doesn't leave a new lubricant inside the system. The idea of all additives being snake oil is ridiculous and I would point you in the direction of Millers oils to see substantiated research and results.

Also in my opinion if a product was 'snake oil' why would the company go to the expense of getting a patent and constantly having to renew it for something that is 'snake oil' and isn't credible?

I may be biased because I use Cataclean regularly and I have never had any major engine issues. I have also used it on my own emissions reader and seen a massive reduction in emissions including NOx - I can understand why it is so popular on the MOT circuit.

Finally I used to believe the majority of products where snake oil, that was until I opened up my own garage and tested them myself to see what worked for me that I could provide to my customers that would actually work. Some of the products I have found/believe to work and would recommend Cataclean, Millers EcoMax Diesel/Petrol, Molyslip engine protector, STP Fuel System Cleaner

Just my two cents :popcorn2:

·
Enjoying life
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car feeling a bit lumpy for first 10 mins and vtec is giving the smell of crap burning. Anyone tried this in their fn2?

·
Super Moderator
2,359 Posts
Car feeling a bit lumpy for first 10 mins and vtec is giving the smell of crap burning. Anyone tried this in their fn2?
notice you were original thread starter so did you use it back then if so you should know if it worked or not
ive used it it a few cars mainly for other people and once i noticed a definat improvement others ive not noticed anything atall

so my reply is it might work if there is a problem its designed for but most people try thease products when theres no need or a totaly different issue that it wont solve

·
Enjoying life
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, but I am going to try it. I shall report back :wink3:

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I used that BG44k on an old astra thats was a little lumpy running and it cleared that. never had issues after that so it either worked or thrashing the car up the motorway cleared it out :)

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
my nephew had his engine hydro cleaned and swears by it, on his mini cooper s, but im thinking its just a placebo feeling hes getting, as i drove the car before the process and after it felt the same to me

·
Enjoying life
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends on whether the car needs treating I suppose. My car just doesn't feel 100% at the moment, can't quite figure out what it is. Getting a strong vtec smell and the car feeling a little rough, think this is a good place to start. My Flashpro datalog doesn't indicate any issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know exactly what you mean as had the same thing, I was advised it was valve clearances that would solve it however I never bothered with that and eventually the smell went. I was also advised it could be the clutch but the clutch is still fine 40k miles on....

I would just give it a good service to be honest, reset the ECU, then give it a good trashing. Like I say I had the same thing but it just went eventually and not come back since.

But for peace of mind my car hasn't died yet and the smell happened a fair bit of time ago :)

Hope this helps.

Edit: I noticed it more if I had been driving the car carefully for a while with no VTEC then went for it. Tend to drive my car in VTEC more since putting an aftermarket airfilter on.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
what exactly does it claim to clean.... as surely the first time the engine is started after the treatment it just instantly goes back to how it was before you shelled out £100, I wouldn't waste your time.

just use some redex in a tank of fuel much cheaper and probably the same effect.

·
Enjoying life
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I paid £13 for a bottle of cataclean, are you thinking of terraclean? :wink3:

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,879 Posts
what exactly does it claim to clean.... as surely the first time the engine is started after the treatment it just instantly goes back to how it was before you shelled out £100, I wouldn't waste your time.

just use some redex in a tank of fuel much cheaper and probably the same effect.
Nothing is being cleaned! Real benefits usually come from the additive being loaded with octane or cetane boosters that will show a noticeable improvement for the first tankful (certainly the case with the snake oils BG44K AND BG244).

No offence to anyone, but the placebo effect is enormously powerful, I recently read a thread on a Honda forum where someone fitted a new aux belt and swears that the car is pulling harder under load and fuel economy has improved. If money and time are expended, then a benefit is wished for...

I have no idea if the petrol version of Cataclean works but would assume not, and I can't see how it could cure a mysterious 'VTEC smell'! Certainly the diesel version doesn't work... https://www.motoringassist.com/motoring-advice/car-maintenance/cataclean-work/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts