2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read some good reviews about this product. I am trying to avoid something that will look good initially then fade after a couple of washes - this stuff is a ceramic coating that covers the plastic so i think that should be more effective?

CERAKOTE Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - Quick Plastic Trim Restorer - Guaranteed Restoration to Last Over 200 Washes – A Ceramic Coating, Not a Dressing: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Does anyone have any experience with this before i give it a go (twenty six quid for some impregnated wet wipes lol). ?!

thanks

·
Registered
Honda Civic MK9 2015 Facelift 1.6 I-DTEC
72 Posts
Hopefully this video will show you some insight on how durable Cerakote and other competitors.

Would also recommend to check for Malco Epic Revive and TLC Cera Trim.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so i posted some pics on my build thread but to update here also, this stuff is excellent. My trims look like new, really.

It'll be interesting to see how it holds up over time (but based on the youtube stuff it looks like it will last well). I used only half the pack so i have enough to do another coat again in the future if needed.

Pics on my thread here: Rob's Civic Tourer project | Page 10 | 2006+ Honda Civic Forum (civinfo.com)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow that looks pretty good! If I remember/ get round to it I'll definitely do that on my tourer. It looks a bit tatty in the grey it's gone.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,703 Posts
I've seen posts about using a heat gun, obviously carefully, to draw the plastic oils to the surface and make them look like new.

There'll be YouTube about it I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen posts about using a heat gun, obviously carefully, to draw the plastic oils to the surface and make them look like new.

There'll be YouTube about it I'm sure.
heat gun is only a temporary solution - fine if you're just getting it tidy for selling, but not a long term solution. there's only so much oil in the plastic so by doing this you're potentially drawing out what's remaining and making it more brittle over time. the cerakote is a ceramic coating that covers and protects the plastic.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
probably the best solution but £50+ a bottle(?)

·
Registered
2016 Honda Civic 1.6 I-DTEC SR
53 Posts
What is it with these plastics anyway? They seem like sponges for these solutions and excessively prone to fading, the worst of both worlds. I tried a bit of my mates meguiars ultimate black which I know isn’t classed as a long term solution, It lasted until it next rained. Seems like having them painted body colour is the only way for permanant wheel arch satisfaction. If Honda are going to use these plastics so prominently why didn’t they just use a material that would not need permanent special attention?

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
What is it with these plastics anyway? They seem like sponges for these solutions and excessively prone to fading, the worst of both worlds. I tried a bit of my mates meguiars ultimate black which I know isn’t classed as a long term solution, It lasted until it next rained. Seems like having them painted body colour is the only way for permanant wheel arch satisfaction. If Honda are going to use these plastics so prominently why didn’t they just use a material that would not need permanent special attention?
That's why I bought an Si, the arches are colour coded.
Never did like the look of the black plastic on any car, done because it's cheaper to put generic black plastic on all your models than have to paint them to order.
Why do so many cars have them anyway, never used to see them except on Landrovers or other offroad vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
15ml bottle is that price, I was talking the larger 30ml bottle that sells for just over £40.
working from memory 'cos I haven't bought it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Roughly how many mil of that stuff would be needed to do a decent job of the arches and the tray where the wipers are?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why do so many cars have them anyway, never used to see them except on Landrovers or other offroad vehicles?
That's what I think, for protection? All my previous cars have had normal painted arches and I've never had any damage there. I guess if you're going to be doing burnouts on gravel every day then they could be worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Roughly how many mil of that stuff would be needed to do a decent job of the arches and the tray where the wipers are?
Less than 15ml.
I went at it heavy handily, I reckon you could get 2 cars worth out of a small bottle

Where did you hear of this one? Woyld you say it is better than Cerakote or did you watch a comparison?
[/QUOTE]

It's a brand I already use / know of, a brand that someone I know who is rather anal about his detailing uses.
No idea how it compares to Cerakote as I've never used it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts