2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has probably been asked before - but does the new Civic come with an installed iPod cable connection?

If not, what cable will I require, where can I get it, what is it's rough cost, and is there an installation guide on the Forum?

Is it a relatively easy job to DIY?

Trust someone can help with the info.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The iMid displays album artwork along with track / album info. If you have the TuneIn app for Internet streaming, that unofficially works as well. In this case, only the current program name will be displayed and it doesnt change.

If you use a poor quality USB cable (aftermarket one) you may get intermittent disconnect issues and / or "device not supported" messages.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can get artwork (the size of a postage stamp) displayed on the main touchscreen but not in the IMID. How do you do that??

·
Registered
429 Posts
I find Bluetooth works so well that it is the only way I connect my iPhone to the car system. If I needed to charge the iPhone battery then there is a connection supplied.

The Bluetooth enables you to keep the phone in your pocket and not accidentally leave it in the car when parked. I charge my phone at home at night.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iPod Connection in 2012 9th Gen Civic

May I refer contributors to my 'ORIGINAL' Post!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Civilrights, I think you have misunderstood my intention for posting this reply.
I was responding to those posts that replied refering to other connections/displays rather than my original one, and to which you replied to giving me the answer I needed.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just wanted to say that if you connect an iPhone / iPod via the original Apple cable and then to the USB socket in the Civic it will show all artwork and more helpfully the track details. You also get options to change artists, albums, genres ect by pushing in the center of the volume button. No other connection / fitting is required for an iPod / iPhone. There is also a "cigarette lighter" connection that I use for Sat Nav.

If you connect via bluetooth (and only via bluetooth, so in other words you do not have the iPhone cable in to charge it) all you get is the name of the device - ie: "Trevor's iPhone". You don't get any info about the track and no other options if you push in the center of the volume button. The iPhone 5 will connect quite happily via bluetooth.

Another thing - as obvious as it sounds is that via a cable connection the track changes a hell of a lot quicker.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
iPod / iPhone Connection via USB in 9G

I have my iPhone in a windscreen mount while driving so I can use Sat Nav apps. I would like to connect the iPhone to the USB connector in the centre console so I can also use it as a fully functioning iPod to listen to music, but this needs a USB extension lead of about 2 metres. I have a 1 metre lead which I have used to test and this works fine, but I have now tried three different 2 and 3 metre USB leads and I get a "not supported" message.

Can anyone throw any light on this please?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is it a cheap one off amazon or similar? Have you tried them in your computer? I had to try a few iPhone 5 cables before I found one that wasn't a dodgy imitation from China!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I have tried 3 different cables including comparatively expensive ones from Maplin and Staples and Amazon. The Amazon one worked fine connecting the phone charging lead to the computer - I didn't try the others.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I can connect the iPhone directly to the USB connector in the car with the Apple charging lead and everything works perfectly.

I can connect the iPhone through the Apple charging lead and the 1 metre USB extension lead to the USB connector in the car and again everything works perfectly.

When I use the Apple charging lead and any of the longer USB leads the display in the car shows "loading" for perhaps half a minute , and then "Not supported".

Thanks for your interest and efforts to help, by the way!

·
Registered
161 Posts
It seems you just have some dodgy leads by the sound of it. Can you live with the extension lead if that works? I just have a load of music on an 8GB USB stick and it works a treat, no need to keep plugging stuff in and plenty of variety. Probably not the magical answer you wanted, unless you can find a decent long cable

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find using the Apple cable with my iPhone 5 doesn't work, but using over bluetooth does. I'm guessing Honda don't support the 5 yet...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts