2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Apple iPod Connection in 9th Gen (ES Model)

6K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  civilrights 
#1 ·
I know this question has probably been asked before - but does the new Civic come with an installed iPod cable connection?

If not, what cable will I require, where can I get it, what is it's rough cost, and is there an installation guide on the Forum?

Is it a relatively easy job to DIY?

Trust someone can help with the info.

Thank you

#3 ·
The iMid displays album artwork along with track / album info. If you have the TuneIn app for Internet streaming, that unofficially works as well. In this case, only the current program name will be displayed and it doesnt change.

If you use a poor quality USB cable (aftermarket one) you may get intermittent disconnect issues and / or "device not supported" messages.

#7 ·
I find Bluetooth works so well that it is the only way I connect my iPhone to the car system. If I needed to charge the iPhone battery then there is a connection supplied.

The Bluetooth enables you to keep the phone in your pocket and not accidentally leave it in the car when parked. I charge my phone at home at night.

#10 ·
Civilrights, I think you have misunderstood my intention for posting this reply.
I was responding to those posts that replied refering to other connections/displays rather than my original one, and to which you replied to giving me the answer I needed.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
Just wanted to say that if you connect an iPhone / iPod via the original Apple cable and then to the USB socket in the Civic it will show all artwork and more helpfully the track details. You also get options to change artists, albums, genres ect by pushing in the center of the volume button. No other connection / fitting is required for an iPod / iPhone. There is also a "cigarette lighter" connection that I use for Sat Nav.

If you connect via bluetooth (and only via bluetooth, so in other words you do not have the iPhone cable in to charge it) all you get is the name of the device - ie: "Trevor's iPhone". You don't get any info about the track and no other options if you push in the center of the volume button. The iPhone 5 will connect quite happily via bluetooth.

Another thing - as obvious as it sounds is that via a cable connection the track changes a hell of a lot quicker.

Hope this helps

#12 ·
iPod / iPhone Connection via USB in 9G

I have my iPhone in a windscreen mount while driving so I can use Sat Nav apps. I would like to connect the iPhone to the USB connector in the centre console so I can also use it as a fully functioning iPod to listen to music, but this needs a USB extension lead of about 2 metres. I have a 1 metre lead which I have used to test and this works fine, but I have now tried three different 2 and 3 metre USB leads and I get a "not supported" message.

Can anyone throw any light on this please?

#18 ·
I can connect the iPhone directly to the USB connector in the car with the Apple charging lead and everything works perfectly.

I can connect the iPhone through the Apple charging lead and the 1 metre USB extension lead to the USB connector in the car and again everything works perfectly.

When I use the Apple charging lead and any of the longer USB leads the display in the car shows "loading" for perhaps half a minute , and then "Not supported".

Thanks for your interest and efforts to help, by the way!

#19 ·
It seems you just have some dodgy leads by the sound of it. Can you live with the extension lead if that works? I just have a load of music on an 8GB USB stick and it works a treat, no need to keep plugging stuff in and plenty of variety. Probably not the magical answer you wanted, unless you can find a decent long cable

#22 ·
Yes, the Civic works perfectly with the iPhone 5 plugged in through USB. It's just you need to ensure you use a genuine cable. The dodgy ones from eBay/amazon are cheap for a reason...they don't always work! I've bought a few, one of them kinda works but only in one orientation. My original apple cable works 100%. You get what you pay for!!

#25 ·
It's just that for the price of a parrot I could buy a new double din headunit with sat nav and all bells and whistles.
I think this will have to wait until tax return in summer

#26 ·
I have an EX with the factory sat nav. I prefer the look of the normal radio type, I think it looks better integrated. I think if you fit an aftermarket 2 din unit, it'll look a bit...tacky, and I don't think you'll be able to get functionality with steering switches and imid display. I think a parrot or similar gives you the best of both worlds - but that's just my opinion.

#27 · (Edited)
Yes I would rather keep the oem look.
If the parrot will give me steering wheel control I might go for it, but I really don't know where to get it here in Sweden.
I would also like to know how it's connected to the speakers as I plan to add a equalizer, amp and new speakers in the future to retain the oem HU but get excellent sound from it.

#30 ·
Something changed with a recent iphone software update. It used to be that when it was plugged into the car, it would start playing from where it left off and no control was possible when plugged into the car (gave a message saying accessory connected and the rest of the music screen was blank).

Now it seems like something has changed and now you have full control of the music library from the phone. Since this change, I sometimes have to start music playing before connecting it to the car. I don't know what apple have done, but I think I preferred how it was.

Still, try both of your cables and try them in both orientations. Try starting some music playing first. Try at first with Bluetooth turned off too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.