2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One feature that made me go for a civic with sat nav was the ability to use the voice command button and say “nearest fast food” or “nearest pub” (as demonstrated on the TV show Fifth Gear) and have the navigation system work out the best rout for you. I was horrified when I was in an unfamiliar part of Leeds and used this feature for the first time. The navigation system tried to route me to France for a McDonalds. The dam thing gets it wrong every time you ask for a nearest anything. Grrrrr!

Has anyone else had this problem? is this system really fit for purpose? any ideas?

·
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!
1,228 Posts
The system has done you a favour by keeping you away from McD :p

The 'Points of Interest' (POI) database can be a bit wayward at times, but it is something that is very difficult to keep up to date because of the DVD format and built in nature of the system. You can't just download small updates into the system like on TomToms and the like.

The latest version on the Honda DVD 3.23 does have some McD shown in this country apparently, and has many other updates to the POI database.
Gray52 did have the new disks for sale a little while ago, I don't know if he still has them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL True...... The McDonalds was an example that sticks out - i was hungry :eek:. The dvd version i have is 3.22 i find it hard to believe that the closest McDonalds was in france.............

so.... how do we go about updating the poi database?- maybe adding some of our own?

·
Super Moderator
21,031 Posts
You have to get to know it's little quirks.

"Display Restaurants" may have given better results.

'Display nearest pub' has always been comical

·
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!
1,228 Posts
LOL True...... The McDonalds was an example that sticks out - i was hungry :eek:. The dvd version i have is 3.22 i find it hard to believe that the closest McDonalds was in france.............

so.... how do we go about updating the poi database?- maybe adding some of our own?
I thought that the McD situation had been sorted out on the 3.22 and 3.23 discs, but obviously Honda want to save us from rubbish food that makes us fat bas**rds :p:p

How to add our own updates the POI database has been baffling the best brains on the forum. If you know anybody who is a whizz at coding with older versions of Windows Mobile, bring them along, we need all the help we can get

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Generally it works fine, the control is good and I like the fact it is integrated.
However, considering it's price, I am disappointed with :-

The voice commands are a joke.
The POI are a bigger joke, and also inaccurate.
The five different routing methods don't work on my early version.
The map colours are not ideal for nighttime use.
The display is sometimes hard to view in sunlight.
The Audio screen truncates titles unnecessarily.
I am not aware of a free method to update the applications software.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
There are 2 problems with it. Firstly, the sunlight shining onto the screen makes it totally unviewable. Secondly, the POI database is pathetic. Many the other half has said "Let's go to ??? for lunch!", while out & about . "Where's that? Nevermind, I'll look for it in the satnav!". & guess what, the POI database insists the nearest place to eat is 15 miles away at least & refuses to admit the existence of where I'm looking for. Seriously lacking when compared to TomToms, Garmins, etc...
But, on the whole I'm happy with the sat nav. The way the directions are represented are very good. You just need to know the address of where you're going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest, Honda are selling this as a feature of the sat nav - personally i think it is not fit for purpose. As a minimum Honda should issue us with a replacement disk with a reasonable POI database. what do you think?

·
Super Moderator
21,031 Posts
I think Honda/Alpine should allow us to install third party POI's.

As said above, if TT and the like can do it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think we have paid for it so it should be useable. Ask it "nearest garage" in this area, and the first four it gives you are now converted to dwellings. Not good if you are low on petrol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do we think Honda would supply us with new disks if enough of us was to complain about this?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
i think it depends on what you say, certain things like "go home, find hospital, and nearest pub" all work fine. As for the phone i think it is great 99% of the time it gets it right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol tried "nearest pub" i have one over the road. The car wanted to take me to north wales...... the only one that works well for me is the home command...........

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I have used mine a few times to find addresses and every time it has taken me right to the door. Not necessarily the best route as I realized I could have saved a mile, or two, by cutting through a 'B' road, BUT; it has always got me there, be-it in the middle of Birmingham or Hinckley or the outskirts of Rayleigh or Daventry or the King Arthur Hotel in the centre of the Gower Peninsular or the Sir Isaac Walton Hotel in the Derbyshire Dales (both recommended for a visit - beautiful areas).

Route guidance and en-route display is clear, easy to follow and understand directions

I think that makes it excellent and it looks so good as an integral part of my car.

Now as far as the POI's are concerned I must agree that even the latest version is lacking somewhat as it shows my nearest McDonalds as being 10 miles away in Hinckley, when it's actually 1 mile away here in Rugby (and has been for probably 10 years or more!).

NB: Not that I would ever use a McD; Burger King possibly, McD never.

So, as a navigation aid, aesthetic look and display I rate it excellent, for some POI's I rate it mediocre.

PS: I do like the fact that you can select screen background colours individually for day and night driving and that the contrast and brightness can be preset as well for day and night AND this also applies to the air-con controls and in-car entertainment.

·
Super Moderator
21,031 Posts
My suggestion............

On the next model SatNav they supply a USB port.

By use of a laptop we could connect to the SatNav WinCE base and drop our POI's in ASC / CSV or whatever format they decide into a folder which is picked up and the POI's displayed on the map.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Used a Tom Tom a bit this past week.
Not sure which model, it was a rental, but it was quite a small one.

Admitadly, I have much more experience using the Civic sat-nav...but I am more happy than ever with my Civic satnav now...

1. Having to remove the TomTom all the time and carry it with me

2. Prefer the big dial on the dash compared to leaning forward punching the touch sensitive screen

3. Screen is bigger on the Civic

4. POIs were not great on the Tom Tom either, have not driven them in the same area so cannot make a REAL comparison however.

5. I could not find a way of turning off the auto-zoom

·
Super Moderator
21,031 Posts
I agree :)

No 4 though can be sorted though because you can add POI's quite easily with a TT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also saw the fifth gear "find nearest pub" review before I bought the car and wonder if I was miss-sold. Mind you, I certainly can't cry "not fit for purpose" anymore given I bought my ex1.8 new 18months ago.

Doesn't stop me getting annoyed that its (the POI) not upgradeable though. From reading the posts here, I thank God I wasn't taken it to waste £300 on a some new disks from Honda that apaprently still have a useless POI.

As a side-note, I've seen one or two posts from folk wanting to reverse-engineer the device so we can add our own POI. I am a full time developer and do have Wince dev experience so anyone also with the skill and hopefully with the time plz get in touch to compare notes...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Does anyone know where the full list of voice commands are for the satnav and car features.. i think there was one a Wikipost somewhere ???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts