2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people.

I am looking into putting a double din in my 2008 civic. got a few questions .
first of all in sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place I have looked on other parts and the parts I need haven't gotten comments for a year .

I know that in order to put a double din display is a bit of a faf on with regards to trim under the sw. gear stick etc in order to get the radio out.
Halfords have asked for 220 to fit it I was thinking about giving it a go myself .

can anyone recommend a unit that works with android as most of them and more for iPhones.
I have been looking at pumpkin had any one had any dealings with them ?
I have a budget of around 300-350 for the unit if needs be .

basically any advice wouldn't go a miss .

regards

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
regarding the trim just be carefull and take your time as some of the clips are bloody tight !!!
I took my time and still managed to break a bit of plastic of jusr under where the radio is, covered it
up with a strip of velcro and is nt noticable at all.
I fitted a Pioneer AVH double din and i am not familiar with Android units at all, but do know that Pumkin get

very good reviews

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
regarding the trim just be carefull and take your time as some of the clips are bloody tight !!!
I took my time and still managed to break a bit of plastic of jusr under where the radio is, covered it
up with a strip of velcro and is nt noticable at all.
I fitted a Pioneer AVH double din and i am not familiar with Android units at all, but do know that Pumkin get

very good reviews

Good Luck
hey Trev thank you for your reply and advice.
I'm keeping my options open as to what unit to use I have heard mixed reviews about most.
apart from servicing my car I've not had any internal hand on work I don't know if I dare trust myself enough lol .
where you able to get the steering wheel controls to work with the stereo ?
thanks

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Yeah, all works fine with the Pioneer unit i have, works brilliant with my iphone which when connected is also used as a sat nav
through the unit. Pioneer are the best IMO and use it for USB playback, DAB and of couse apps, as said, i dont know much about the
android units, hopefully someone on here will help you out i know there are a lot of threads regarding this so just go through them all

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, all works fine with the Pioneer unit i have, works brilliant with my iphone which when connected is also used as a sat nav
through the unit. Pioneer are the best IMO and use it for USB playback, DAB and of couse apps, as said, i dont know much about the
android units, hopefully someone on here will help you out i know there are a lot of threads regarding this so just go through them all
smashing thanks Trev ?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey Trev sorry to bother you again just after a quick bit of advice . im ordering the pumpkin unit I am looking at facia units and came across 2 different ones look the same but just short of 100 difference . cheaper one https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAXIOU-DKM013HO-Double-Adaptor-Opening/dp/B01HPVEWU0/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1532524925&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=honda+double+din+facia&dpPl=1&dpID=41AFVXkCWNL&ref=plSrch with that one I think I will need the cable pack that's offered at the bottom for 59 in order tonget the steering wheel controls working.

the more expensive one is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-T1-CTKHD01-Hatchback-Steering-Interface/dp/B007D0K2VC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532524925&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=honda+double+din+facia&dpPl=1&dpID=410PbaoD5KL&ref=plSrch that says it comes with the cables . I know you have a different unit but which one would you get if you where fitting one .
thanks
regards
Phil

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Autoleads out of them 2

I have the Connect2 one though which i know a lot of people on here have aswell

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks trev much appreciated your the only guy that has taken time to reply to me ? .
I ordered everything earlier and took a gamble as turns out I got the same one you recommended I paid a tenner more but then again it's from Amazon and came with prime so the whole lot will be here tomorrow including rest cam all getting fitted in Tuesday .
thanks mate

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
excellent
now let the work begin :)

Hope all goes ok
Its easy, but fiddly
Remember to cut away some of the dash on the bottom left, otherwise it wont fit, again easy to do

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Trev. it's still a work in progress but here is how I got on. not a bad attempt at somethibg I've never done before lol . hit a few problems along the way which made it drag out a bit.

the don support bracket the came with the din didn't fit. was about 5 mil to night and a few mil to short for the din I looked at every option to cut it etc to make it fit but then it wouldn't fit the fascia. took a trip to Halfords got a universal worked a treat .
secondly I'm still yet to get the steering wheel volume etc working it's all plugged on but no joy that will take a bit of investigation.
what a cow it was to get it all in with the added cables.
other than that though everything else went fine.
I just need to source a new full size clock or something for the top display as before I had the sat nav with the little clock which both are now not working lol .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Looking good mate
It is a nightmare fitting all them cables behind the dash, taped all mine and tidied them up but was still very tight !
Dont know why Honda made it difficult to remove the radio, all that work to undo 2 bolts underneath the unit !
Hopefully you will figure out the volume control etc, probs a wire or setting needs tweaking a bit.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking good mate
It is a nightmare fitting all them cables behind the dash, taped all mine and tidied them up but was still very tight !
Dont know why Honda made it difficult to remove the radio, all that work to undo 2 bolts underneath the unit !
Hopefully you will figure out the volume control etc, probs a wire or setting needs tweaking a bit.
I was in a setting on the din that had a option to select controls from steering wheel and when I pressed it, it knew I had although didn't do the job was suppose to do so I think I might have to program them in.
but yeah what a nightmare to get to a couple of bolts lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Trev. it's still a work in progress but here is how I got on. not a bad attempt at somethibg I've never done before lol . hit a few problems along the way which made it drag out a bit.

the don support bracket the came with the din didn't fit. was about 5 mil to night and a few mil to short for the din I looked at every option to cut it etc to make it fit but then it wouldn't fit the fascia. took a trip to Halfords got a universal worked a treat .
secondly I'm still yet to get the steering wheel volume etc working it's all plugged on but no joy that will take a bit of investigation.
I just need to source a new full size clock or something for the top display as before I had the sat nav with the little clock which both are now not working lol .
Have you used a connects2 harness to connect the 2DIN head unit? I tried something similar yesterday on my car but the sub-display (the one with the clock, A/C and audio details) didn't display anything properly. The connects2 harness only works with the non-satnav sub-display. However, if you totally remove that display and fit something else as you suggest, you will find that your A/C will not work at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts

About the colour satnav display, you can still use it without the original satnav system if you connect it to an RGB interface. You can check this thread... https://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/413458-navigation-screen-rgb-interface.html

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everyone sorry for the delay in currently on holiday with my daughter .
I got the steering wheel controls working I hadn't noticed I needed to tell the radio which one was which:)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

About the colour satnav display, you can still use it without the original satnav system if you connect it to an RGB interface. You can check this thread... https://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/413458-navigation-screen-rgb-interface.html
cheers mate once I'm back I'll give that a go

1 - 20 of 22 Posts