2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
From my experience with that car (as i've made quite a few electrical mods) i would guess you've tapped in to the wrong ground cable ;) Lights on our cars are controlled by ground rather than power cable and there is a chance you had the ground cable that goes from the sensor to the lights rather than the sensor's ground (the one that feeds it).

Not sure if my explanation makes sense in english, sorry about that :)
That would make sense; I never use auto lights, but just discovered that the auto lights position is bringing the lights on now in daylight..... I'll do a quick teardown now - there were two brown wires so being a daft old duffer I picked the wrong 'un.....:(

·
big dog
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That would make sense; I never use auto lights, but just discovered that the auto lights position is bringing the lights on now in daylight..... I'll do a quick teardown now - there were two brown wires so being a daft old duffer I picked the wrong 'un.....:(
If you switch off the sensor mate, there is pretty good chance the other ground wire would be off as well :) There is only one way to be 100% sure and that is checking manually. Simple logic leads to believe if you switch both light and rain sensors off, why should there be power going to them? Hence no auto-dim mirror :)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
If you switch off the sensor mate, there is pretty good chance the other ground wire would be off as well :) There is only one way to be 100% sure and that is checking manually. Simple logic leads to believe if you switch both light and rain sensors off, why should there be power going to them? Hence no auto-dim mirror :)

Hello pesss and all others interested;

On UK spec cars at least, you have five wires at the sensor plug;

Blue is permanent live
Creamy white with black stripes is switched live
The brown with stripes has to be the auto light sensor earth,
By a process of elimination the black wire is the auto wiper sensor earth,
because if you earth the last wire which is pink it pings the open door sensor off!

On the basis that the only way of not interfering with other components I've taken a simple earth wire with a loop end on it to one of the mounting screws for the interior light pod, so the mirror is active when ignition is on, and all else works as required!

I also had a look inside the sensor cover and there is some small cable guides along the tube part which I carved off with my mate Stanley, so now all the cables fit inside the tube including the camera wire.....

So now a very neat discreet installation :D:D

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
If the weather holds up over the weekend I will do that; once you have the hang of the cover it's easy - getting the first clip off is the toughest but once that one and the next one up is popped, the tube comes away easily. I'll take some pics and add to the thread.

Dave

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Fitted mine today. but couldn't get it work from the rain sensor wiring... kept on affecting the headlights.

I've left the mirror fitted- without the dimming function. I will wait for Dave to get back on how to wire the earth part (with pics :)) so I can go at it again during a work lunch hour.

Here are some pics of the rain sensor cap taken off and the wiring plug.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
i've noticed while driving at night my auto headlights do not work anymore!!! :(

dipped and low beam work fine- but auto switches all lights off...

Does anyone if there is a fuse for auto lights? i've checked the manual quickly but cant find anything. I just hope i havent mashed up the auto lights sensor while testing the dipped mirror.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
does anyone know how to diagnose the fault mentioned above?

both my autolights and auto wipers stopped working after i wired the dimming mirror. I've left is un-wired but still nothing working.

I've also fitted a new sensor today and still not working.

:(

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong there is a way to adjust the function of the dim lights, how sensitive they will be. Might you need adjustment?

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Many days have passed, did you manage to fix it? I wanted to take and fit such a mirror but I am discouraged to do so... How is the official wiring? Can't we find the original plug for the cables?

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
i've noticed while driving at night my auto headlights do not work anymore!!! :(

dipped and low beam work fine- but auto switches all lights off...

Does anyone if there is a fuse for auto lights? i've checked the manual quickly but cant find anything. I just hope i havent mashed up the auto lights sensor while testing the dipped mirror.
Check under hood fuse 17.
Check under dash fuse 1.

Correct me if I am wrong there is a way to adjust the function of the dim lights, how sensitive they will be. Might you need adjustment?
No adjustment on the civic

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Sorry for late reply.

I replaced the sensor with a 2nd hand sensor off ebay- that didn't work either so either it was a terminal fault with internal fuse box or another fuse that the manual didn't refer to.

Eventually managed to fix the auto wipers and lights last week. As Grayfox mentioned above; I didn't check fuse #1 - fn2workshop manual shows the auto lights uses fuses #1 and #17 @ 7.5amps. My #1 fuse was blown...

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Sorry for late reply.

I replaced the sensor with a 2nd hand sensor off ebay- that didn't work either so either it was a terminal fault with internal fuse box or another fuse that the manual didn't refer to.

Eventually managed to fix the auto wipers and lights last week. As Grayfox mentioned above; I didn't check fuse #1 - fn2workshop manual shows the auto lights uses fuses #1 and #17 @ 7.5amps. My #1 fuse was blown...

The mirror works finally?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
The mirror works finally?
Sorry haven't got around to wiring the mirror. I've pretty much left it fitted (without wiring) since I had the fuse blow when wiring it.

The 7 pin sensor connector doesn't have a appropriate ground- so you need to link it to a ground - either in the roof lights (screw) or back to the internal fuse box as Trabant Dave mentioned.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
So I got the mirror and I installed it. I tried to wire it as you said above but it wouldn't work. So I measured the current and found out that you put positive the second from the left and ground the third. I think that I've seen it differently above. Some photos from my installation:

Used hot glue and plain cables

Pulled the tab over the connector....

Slided in the cables positive and the negative, second and third cable from the left

Made a small dent with a knife at the cover of the sensor

Putted some tape...

And the final result, with everything working properly

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Having just picked up an Accord autodimming mirror, thought I would just mention something I haven't seen anywhere else. The replacement mirror is slightly larger than the original and what I didn't think about, was that the drivers side sun visor hits the mirror and doesn't sit flat to the screen when lowered. It's not a major issue but does slightly reduce the area of the screen you can look through.

Passenger side is fine due to the angle of the mirror.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts