2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently retired Mondeo had an automatic dimming rear view mirror that worked superbly and I really miss that in the the Civic. However I see that I could have it retro fitted by a dealer.
So two questions:-
1) If you already have one what do you think of it?
2) If you have fitted one yourself and missed out the dealer fitting fee I'd like to hear about how easy it was etc.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Love it on moth my Vecs.

thought about fitting to my Civic but then found the spoiler blocks most of the glare anyway so no need

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Hmmm.... Got one in mine, but not sure if it does much. As already stated, the split rear screen blocks 90%, so I hardly ever see it dim. And to be honest, there has been several occasions where a van, truck or even just the angle of the light was bothering me and I wished it would dim, but it does not. I have adjusted the angle.

If it had a manual override button, the would be useful.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I installed the original one Honda is using in th US for the CR-Vs.
With integrated garage door opener.
Really satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I had one in my previous car and it worked superbly.
I believe there are different ways for these mirrors to work.
Mine had 2 beams of light that shone down from the roof onto the mirror when the exterior lights were turned on. This light was invisible unless you put your hand in the beams, when it showed up as a red colour.
My mirror never noticeably dimmed, i always had the same rearward vision, but could not be blinded even by a car sitting right behind me with full beam on. :D
The rear spoiler on the Civic does block most of the glare when a vehicle is at a certain distance behind(fairly close), but it doesnt stop it from being annoying when approaching from a distance away.
Given the choice i would much rather have an unobstructed rear window together with an auto dimming mirror.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts