2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've recently bought an 09 CTR, after previously owning an 08 civic. This afternoon I noticed something weird. The sunshine was very bright, and this seemed to activate the auto headlights?

My old Civic didn't do this, so I thought something was wrong. I've done a quick search of the forum and seen that on the 09 models the auto headlights were tweaked. I've also seen a poster saying that the auto headlights are supposed to activate when the sun is low in the sky? Is this the case? I guess this evening was a typical late winter evening low sky sun?

The car is sat in the shade now and the lights don't come on which seems to check this explanation. Just a little surprised that the sensor would know the sun was low in the sky?!

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
If I understand it correctly the auto headlights are set up for dusk ...... this may mean the type of sunlight you get at dusk (and dawn) which is yellow/orange but can still be bright if there is no cloud cover.

This is probably why they don't come on in fog during the day as the sensor still see's a whiter light.

BTW I am educatedly (if that's a word) guessing so may be completely wrong :)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
AFAIK, it is a feature of MY09 and later Civics with auto lights.

I think the car uses the sunlight sensor at the front of the dash to measure the angle of the sun. You can see this reading if you go into the satnav developer menu if you have built-in satnav.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Only the sat nav models do this by calculating the solar angle as stated above... The sensor doesn't know, but the sat nav software does :)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Mine wouldn't go off yesterday in bright morning sun in Australia. Today, the car is in the (rather glarey) garage and they're not coming on with the ignition.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
My lights come on randomly during the day as well. I've just ordered a replacement sensor, to see if that makes any difference??

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I use the old school method of turning my lights on manually when they are needed rather than relying on a gizmo.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I've started to have this problem last week. Before they were always spot on and now randomly coming on when its a nice clear day. Not sure if the sensor is playing up and needs replacing.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I got the second hand sensor as the new one is over £400!! But it seems to be much the same really. Maybe it's an age related fault on the unit..??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts