2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,581 Posts
Since my dealer did the 'Battery learning' thing (or whatever) on mine, it auto stops more often than not with the battery error now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Just to add, I am not a "Honda Hater", we have owned 7 brand new Honda cars in the last 15 years and I have been a fan and "ambassador" for the brand both regarding cars, MC and everything related.
This is more a principal thing, regardless of product you buy actually. If a product you buy does not work as advertised you; get it repaired w/o delay or, replaced, or you return it, or you get compensation. The option "just accept it" do not apply, period.
2002 Honda Civic Type R
2005 Honda Civic 1.6 MT 2 Door
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0 MT
2008 Honda Civic 1.8 MT
2011 Honda Insight CVT
2014 Honda Civic 1.8 MT
2017 Honda Civic 1.5T MT"

I agree there, it is the principal that goods should be as described and be fit for purpose! if it was anything else you take it back to the shop and tell them to replace it. my local service manager has agreed to show me "in detail" how to reset the system next Friday (28th june) - I will report my findings...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry for later than planned reply, thats because there was no "definitive answer" (well was expected really)

On the morning I was due to go the stop/start burst into life?!?!? So i went anyway just to see how they could help if it ever went off again. They couldn't understand how it went off in the first place having gone through the basics -

It won't work if Air con is on - it wasnt (don't use it unless really have to) and that's rubbish anyway this week it was working even with the air con on?! (I kid you not)
Sometimes the air con can be on even if the temp is high outside, you have to check the climate system definitely shows "off" to be sure - It wasn't
Short journeys / short miles will not help - I drive 35 minutes via the motorway twice a day and very little else
If the battery is below 90% charge it may not work - as I explained I'd try to the charge the battery anyway and the charger just said fully charged - it certainly wasn't that

Comments of "it's too sophisticated for it's own good" and wandering around the technicians asking if they know any tips or tricks didn't inspire confidence. One technician suggesting going banzi on the stop/start switch while turning the key on/off repeatedly won't work with keyless systems (erm just like mine). They offered to check the battery but as it's fairly new admitted it probably wasn't that

The only thing that may have helped was unplugging the system sensor from the battery negative and leaving it off for 10, 15 minutes to "remove cache" from the memory. If you look at the battary there's a second clipped on wire onto the negative side - unclip that. I'd done that under their instructions the week before but didn't work - or did it? only one week later.

I left the place requesting a big "reset" button be fitted next time so customers don't have to waste their day bringing tat like this back. The service manager assures me it's a reliable car.... mmmm this is my third civic in 10 years and has more problems than the UK parliament

·
Living the dream!
8,542 Posts
It would appear there is a software update https://video.citnow.com/vtcZfY1d6nP I will be honest ours worked fine until around the time of the 1 year service and then it is hit and miss and most of the times miss while the new Sport Plus works 90% of the time.

I can now confirm the stop start is working perfect, apparently the update is something to do with the correct battery state voltage being obtained etc

·
Registered
28 Posts
We got a call from our dealer today as well about the new S/W update. Car will be at the workshop next week. Still, our case is reported and in process at the consumer board.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My car was in this week for "A" service (9k) and to sort out various niggles experienced over the 11 months ownership, including stop/start which has only functioned about 5-10 times over that period with driving 80% A road/motorway, 20 mile journeys.

Not fixed. TBH the dealership didn't seem that bothered. Was told known issues same as HRV and basically live with it.:surprise:
Had a Jazz courtesy car for three days where on the same journey the stop/start function worked every time. In fact 3 times on each journey for three days, where the Civic has never.

Got to go back for grill/sensor replacement when in stock! (not happy) so will pursue further.
Also noted that the connect app no longer shows battery voltage, just a general "working well". When it did show, never a concern with battery status.

·
Super Moderator
3,581 Posts
There is a software update for the idle stop problem. Had mine done a couple of months ago and it has made it a lot better on my car. now works 8/10 instead of 2/10. Get your dealer to check it out.
The connect app is getting progressively worse at every update. Should pe a piece of p*** to make something god and user friendly, but they just keep making it less and less user friendly.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts