2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning folks, just got our car back from its last service before warranty expires.

One of the problems we have had on and off for the last 18 mths is the headlamps switch themselves on during daylight hours, there is no ryme nor reason as to when they will switch on sometimes its several times during a day other times its days apart, if we stop the car for instance we've gone to shops etc when we return to the car and retart it the lights remain out.

The honda technician has advised me its all to do with the time of the year with the sun being low in the sky effecting the auto lights (***:facepalm:) - it seemed to pass him by that its been happening for 18mths.

Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Morning folks, just got our car back from its last service before warranty expires.

One of the problems we have had on and off for the last 18 mths is the headlamps switch themselves on during daylight hours, there is no ryme nor reason as to when they will switch on sometimes its several times during a day other times its days apart, if we stop the car for instance we've gone to shops etc when we return to the car and retart it the lights remain out.

The honda technician has advised me its all to do with the time of the year with the sun being low in the sky effecting the auto lights (***:facepalm:) - it seemed to pass him by that its been happening for 18mths.

Any ideas or advice would be welcome.
So do they come on automatically when its dark? And they randomly switch on and off during daylight hours or did you mean they come on when you have turned the car off etc? Mine switch themselves on and off sometimes during the day for no reason when driving, they decided to switch off in thick fog the other day. I think the sensor is just really sensitive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They randomly switch on and remain on during daylight hours.

I've just spoke with the workshop manager, after a lengthy debate hes agreed to order new sensers and will fit have them fited some time soon. Hopefully this should sort it out.

He said he'd spoke to honda and they had advised that at this time of the year the sensers get confused by the ambient light in the cabin and the external light causing them to switch on. Sounds just like British rails wrong sort of snow baloney to me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've had auto lights on lots of cars, not only Honda's and they do randomly do turn on and off during daylight hours.

Crucially, does this happen on a clear sunny day in summer?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
use the manual function??
i'm not sure that would help him fix his auto headlights :p

mine come on in early mornings when it's bright and sunny, but i believe the sat nav model has a different way of deciding whether or not you need your lights on!!

on my old one they just came on when going under bridges etc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys

I have the same problem with my lights, only got the car recently before I had a Mazda and the auto lights worked perfectly even tho the car was 5 years older, thought the technology would of been better now.

The other day I was parked in sun light with the sun behind me, drove off and the lights came on, can be driving down the road in bright sunshine but if you are in the shadow of houses or trees the lights come on, it's so annoying then you have to turn the dash lights up, I now just turn my lights on and of manually.

Would be good if someone knew if there was a way to alter the sensitivity.

Regards
woto

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's because of the dark blue sky in the winter. As soon as there are clouds in the sky the problem is gone. Because Clouds are brighter than blue sky.
Look at other cars when you're experience this issue. They have the same issues with auto lights.

It's always funny when my Civic turns on the lights on perfect sunny weather, almost 90% of all other not old cars have also their lights on. Doesn't matter if it's a BMW, VW, Audi etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts