2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Auto Lights

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Kremmen 
#1 ·
Is it just me ?

I am at that time of year where I'm driving into work whilst it's getting light. By the time I get to work it is light (nearly).

I put the lights on auto and they stay on for the whole journey, which I agree with as it's not fully light.

Towards the end of my journey I go down a tree lined road.

As I pass under the trees the lights stay on but the SatNav is changing between night and day mode as I pass under the tress then hit a clear patch and so on.

So what controls the SatNav night/day mode ?

#2 ·
Is it just me ?

I am at that time of year where I'm driving into work whilst it's getting light. By the time I get to work it is light (nearly).

I put the lights on auto and they stay on for the whole journey, which I agree with as it's not fully light.

Towards the end of my journey I go down a tree lined road.

As I pass under the trees the lights stay on but the SatNav is changing between night and day mode as I pass under the tress then hit a clear patch and so on.

So what controls the SatNav night/day mode ?
I also leave my lights on auto and at this time of year its normal for a couple of switching actions on the way to work, however my SatNav follows what the lights do...

#5 ·
Krem, assume the lights aren't flicking on and off? Maybe it works from a separate sensor - the 8G has two (one for the auto lights and the sunlight sensor for the A/C) so could be something bizarre like that...

#6 ·
Wish the 8th Gen had a seperate sensor for the dimming.
I always have to keep manually switching the satnav between day and night mode as it's dark enough to have my lights on yet still too bright to properly see the screen in night mode :(

#11 ·
It's designed to do that. There are 2 sensors on the screen, one looking at the horizon and one at the sky. Sometimes the car deems it necessary to keep the lights on during the day for increased visibility, but because its not dark out the interior illumination is kept to maximum. When you go under trees, the sky sensor senses it's dark and tells your interior illumination to go darker but it doesn't necessarily turn your headlights on and off. The intention is to get it right but without switching on/off too many times.

#16 ·
If it bothers you, you could try the little brightness button on the sat nav itself. I no longer have a Honda so I can't check, but I think if you whack the brightness up on the sat nav it may stay in day mode. Also if you use the combi meter dimmer knob and check what the night setting is (pretty sure you can't adjust the day setting - it stays max to prevent you from not seeing speed/dials due to contrast when it's bright out) if you turn the night up to max you may not get the day/night flicking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.