2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I noticed the Auto stop warning coming on a few days ago on a frosty morning. It's been cold since and now every time I start the car I get this warning.

Is this a battery issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
probably is because of the cold the engine can get up to normal temps. is it permanently not available or does it working when engine temp is normal?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
probably is because of the cold the engine can get up to normal temps. is it permanently not available or does it working when engine temp is normal?
To be honest I've only been doing short runs for the past week so not sure if it is a permanent problem. I'm going for a long drive tomorrow so hopefully that will sort it out.

nothing like a bit of frost to show up battery weaknesses, if its older than 3 or 4 years id change the battery it owes you nothing now
Aye it might be best just changing it if the drive tomorrow doesn't sort it out, I've heard that the battery's for Auto stop engines can be expensive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Buy a battery charger (e.g from DINO, cheap) and try it. Your battery will die soon. Had this a few months ago. Even on cold days the start stop functions surprisingly early like a few minutes after starting, it shuts the engine off on a stoplight.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
A new battery (EFB) is about £80, and easy to fit. I replaced mine 2 months ago as the start stop was getting sulky and worked when it wanted to. The price of a battery is low compared to the inconvenience if it fails suddenly. My wife's car battery just gave up with no warning, as did the battery on my daughters 3 year old Golf , both involved RAC callouts to get going plus new batteries.
They don't make batteries like they used to when I was a lad !!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A new battery (EFB) is about £80, and easy to fit. I replaced mine 2 months ago as the start stop was getting sulky and worked when it wanted to. The price of a battery is low compared to the inconvenience if it fails suddenly. My wife's car battery just gave up with no warning, as did the battery on my daughters 3 year old Golf , both involved RAC callouts to get going plus new batteries.
They don't make batteries like they used to when I was a lad !!
Yes I'll get a new one soon, I'll give it a good charge with the battery charger for the time being, I've been turning off the Auto stop as soon as I start the car.

Buy a battery charger (e.g from DINO, cheap) and try it. Your battery will die soon. Had this a few months ago. Even on cold days the start stop functions surprisingly early like a few minutes after starting, it shuts the engine off on a stoplight.
I have just bought a charger so will be charging the battery soon, I take it there were no issues with the car (Audio) after disconnecting the battery? Thanks

·
Veedub
488 Posts
This happened to me 3 weeks ago and the auto start came on more and more until we went shopping last weekend and when we got back to the car, it wouldn't start. Ended up calling the AA out. Guy jumped the car and left the booster on it for 10 mins while he checked a few things. Bottom line he suggetsed either the senor had gone or the battery was stuffed, he further said he'd put his money on the battery as this is his main call out issues for both Honda and Toyota. He said he rarely gets a call from Honda/Toyota owners for any other reasons. He advised that the 9th gen battery he could get for £164 (but came with a 5 year warranty). Though he advised to get Honda check it out first and see what they charged for batteries. Took my car to Honda on Monday and confirmed it wasn't the sensor but a 4year 4month battery was the issue. Charged £123 for the fitting and replacement and getting rid of the old battery. They didn't charge me (unusually) for the 90min diagnostics test. Car is running fine now and auto start working exactly as it should.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My start stop stopped working 5 months after I got my car.. dealer replaced the battery after a bit of to and fro.. wear and tear they said initially.. Not after 5 months I said. No problems since

1 - 11 of 11 Posts