2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My Type R in the last few weeks has started to develop a bug with the auto wipers. It was happening sporadically at first but now it is constant.

The problem is that I have always used my wipers on auto at the most sensitive setting. Never touched them for months and months and just always come on when needed no bother. But now if they are on auto they will come on as if it's pouring down no matter what setting it's on.

The highest setting means they wipe constantly. The second setting leaves about 3 seconds in between wipes, the third setting leaves about 7 seconds, and so on. So no matter whether it's raining or not whatever setting it is on, they will wipe as soon as the setting allows them to if you know what I mean?

I've had to resort to manually changing them depending on what kinda rain it is and then turning them off if not raining at all and it's really annoying when you've gotten used to having auto sensors.

Obviously I am out of warranty so not gonna be covered for Honda to fix this in any way.

Anyone else had a problem like this? :(

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

No-one else had this problem? :(

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
This happens in my 2.2 occasionally aswell

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it just stop itself then? This has been doing it constantly but won't go away now.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
It does it occasionaly, must be the lovely scottish weather that causes it. I usually just adjust the speed then put it back and that usually sorts the problem. Sometimes it doesnt and you just have to do it manually.

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm nah mines is obviously buggered then as hasn't went back to normal for ages.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
I think the wipers are controlled by the MICU so if there is a bug in the countless lines of code, it cause this.

Funnily enough i tried to make this happen today so i could report it to honda next month.
Why, I demand perfection when it comes to my car.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
The sesnsor is just behind the rearview mirror. That could be blocked or something to do with the sensor or the way the water runs off the windscreen and it may cause it to think there is more than there actually is?

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've washed the car countless times since this started happening though. I thought the same and made sure that part was clean as a whistle and it is. I grudge taking it to Honda to look at as they will charge me an arm and a leg no doubt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This may be a really obvious suggestion, but have your recently changed the blades and if so do you now have the right length of wiper blade fitted? (As explained in the wiki) cars with automatic wipers require a slightly longer blade on the driver's side than cars without. (675mm as opposed to the regular 600mm).

If the shorter blade is fitted to a car with auto wipers then the wipers will run constantly because the blade is not long enough to clear the rain off the sensor.

Cheers

Paul

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did just change my blades from Bosch to standard ones. I haven't checked if they clear the sensor, I didn't even consider that. Surely they do though being OEM from Honda direct. Cars in getting serviced now so can't even check until tonight.

I don't think that will be the problem anyway as the wipers still go full auto even when the whole windscreen is bone dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts