2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used the car for the first time in the rain since taking delivery last week. I have the auto lights and wipers on function and without taking time to read the manual I thought the folloWing............

When the wipers are in the auto position and operating in full wipe mode I expected that the lights came on automatically. I assumed this as I have another car with the Same functions the lights come on when the wipers are operating fully.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
It doesn't work like that on the Civic (unfortunately)

If it's raining, the wipers come on - If it's dark the lights come on - but the wipers & lights auto functions aren't linked. I agree it would be sensible though.

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mercedes reckon that if yoy need to have your wipers on then you need your ligts on as well. NOw correct me if I am wrong but i think the Highway Code say the same ?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I agree both should be linked. Since getting mine I have found the wipers work great but the lights don't come on until it is darker than I am happy with. Does anyone know if you can adjust the sensitivity of the light sensor to make them come on earlier?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree both should be linked. Since getting mine I have found the wipers work great but the lights don't come on until it is darker than I am happy with. Does anyone know if you can adjust the sensitivity of the light sensor to make them come on earlier?
I totally agree, I drove mine for the first time in bad light yesterday and was very suprised the lights did not come on sooner. (I ended up putting my side lights on manually)

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the Merc you can adust the sensativity but.....................it costs another £20 k more

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You do not need your lights on in the rain, unless visibility is reduced and you want to make yourself more visible to other road users.
Normally, heavy rain + spray = reduced visibility

If visibilty is seriously reduced you can put your fog lights on too, but it has to be really bad weather for that!

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actuall I have been pulled for having fog lights on on the motorway in bad vis , only to be let off after arguing my case

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Actuall I have been pulled for having fog lights on on the motorway in bad vis , only to be let off after arguing my case
Did you argue that there was so much fog you didn´t even see the police car in time to switch them off? :D

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I do not find it a good idea that lights come on whenever wipers come on. The wipers at least on mine are very sensitive and are coming on even when a car in fron of me washes the windscreen. So i beleive is not a good idea to work in this way.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Auto this, auto that,,,what's wrong with you, the driver deciding when you need lights and wipers?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
For what its worth,, high way code rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Nothing about always using them when the wipers are on...

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
I am not able to use the auto lights function as Polish law states that lights must be used at all times.

I use the auto wipers and like the function.

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
Me too, but they do seem to have a mind of their own sometimes. :rolleyes:
Yep totally agree - sometimes when they are used for a while they seem to get 'tired' and not work so much! Maybe it has something to do with 'time and motion' issues[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
429 Posts
If anything, my auto lights are too sensitive.
I can drive past one large tree and they will come on for a second or two.
This month driving around 8pm my lights go on and off (along with the satnav screen) every time I drive under a few trees. It's getting to the point when I am going to stop using them on auto.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts