2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
oh great, another trip to the dealer then!! More hassle than its worth atm! starting to wish i'd got a new one!! Also got next week in the lake district too, heard its wet there......
cheers for the info :)
oh, i just realised i said auto lights above, i meant wipers, but i guess u sussed that ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Unfortunately it turns out the wipers on our car still aren't fixed, and are still parking in the wrong place.

Strangely, it seems to be when the temperature is above freezing - the work OK when it's really cold! I wonder if there is condensation getting in somewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been getting exactly the same problem, and this morning with all the rain coming down after our little freeze the wipers just seem to have a mind of their own.

They wipe at speed level times, even when just moving the stalk to the Mist setting once and when they do eventually stop they don't park right!!

Has anyone worked out what's going wrong yet? I really don't like the sounds of the new ECU :S

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It looks like it might be a fault with the motor. There is a switch in it should be triggered when the wipers reach the park position so they stop in that position. However, it seems that the switch can get stuck so they don't park in the right place. I found a TSB from the USA about it, which is here http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/a07-071.PDF. These are harder for the public to come by in the UK, but presumably it's the same problem and the same parts are used, and hopefully there is a UK equivelent TSB.

Looking through other forums, it appears to be quite a common problem and can vary with ambient temperature, but our local dealer hasn't come across it before.

The dealer is going to have another look at ours when it goes in for a service at the end of the month.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Auto Wipers

I must admit I don't think the Auto Wipers are that great. I do have mine on but in heavy rain, they seem far too slow in clearing the rain of the Windscreen even if you do adjust the timing interval. Just noticed my blade makes smears too not sure if it needs replacing yet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's very interesting, I had a gut feeling that it was the wiper motor and not the rain sensor because of the parking problem.

I'll give my dealer a ring this afternoon and see if they know anything about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mine are still doing this too. Did a 6hr drive and they drove me made in the light on/off rain conditions. Good to see that TSB, although my dealer are not forthcoming with info like this and as this one affects the US only, may be difficult for them to replace it.
cheers for the info :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I spoke to my dealer and they claim that there isn't a similar UK service bulletin for the intermittent wiper motor problem that we're experiencing. Although I'm inclined not to take that at face value.

I spoke directly to the main techie who did think that the symptoms sounded like a wiper motor fault, but obviously they need to see the car first .etc... He didn't know off hand what the cost of the motor was but guestimated that it's about £250 all in, the main cost being the motor (~£200).

So it doesn't sound like a big job.

Gonna work out when I can take the car in and get their official diagnosis, then it's time to call the ol' warranty company I fear :roll:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I wonder if Honda UK Customer Relations might be more forthcoming about a service bulletin. 0845 200 8000 if anyone wants to try it (I'll wait until ours has been to the dealer again at the end of the month first to see what they can do).

·
Registered
67 Posts
its typical though, drove mine this morning and they were fine! I can guarentee that when its booked in it'll be fine too!!
Mind you, the window rubber on the drivers door is poking out. also my clutch is smelling since the 3rd gear syncro and pressure plate were replaced. :(
such grief taking it too, as i work miles away from them, so come in late and go early!
still, lets hope they're is a conclusion.
rant......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I've got the car booked in for tomorrow. I too have the horrible feeling that it'll work fine when it's in the garage :S but I hope not, like you getting to and from the garage really disrupts work.

The fun of Civic ownership *sigh*...

·
Registered
22 Posts
You hit it on the head, diagnosed it as a faulty wiper motor (surprise surprise), quoted £286.94 all in. Just waiting for authorisation on the warranty company to do the work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
thats good news they have diagnosed it then. wonder if they were playing up when they tested it or it was logged on the computer or something. mine are fine atm
such a pain though having to wait for the warranty to accept the work! Surely its a given it will be covered!
need to book mine in now
thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
This sounds like a problem I had on my 1.8 type s gt. Have you replaced the drivers side wiper blade recently? The one for the auto wipers is longer than the one for the standard wipers (about 5cm or so). The wiper blade should cover the sensor on the windscreen. For some reason dealers don't seem to know this (I bought the said shorter blade from a well known dealer and told them it was for a gt)??? I changed to the longer length blade and they are fine again.

Btw I had this info off civ info so can't take the credit unfortunately.

Could be one to try before replacing wiper motors etc. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, certainly is a pain waiting but what you gonna do? At least I've got my dad's car so I'm not completely car less when it has to go in for work .etc...

Otto: Yes, I've read that before on the forums too and I checked it myself before booking the car in. Also, I had the wipers changed a month before I started getting this problem and I actually remember comparing the lengths of the old and new ones while doing it since I'm paranoid by nature :)

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
my wipers started playing up todayIt just didnt want to go off on any switch position, mist, off auto, normal and fast
had to keep tapping the wiper stalk between various modes - eventually in normal mode it stuck with the wipers 180 degrees vertical.
touch it lightly and then it was 45 degree angle.
But as it was light rain auto and mist mode would start the whole process mental again it was so embarassing driving home like that
Might have to give honda a call and see what they say assuming ican replicate the fault tomororw

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ours was in for its service yesterday. They had another look at the wipers and the TSB from the USA and have ordered a wiper motor to be replaced under warranty. They also said there's no UK service bulletin about it, but agreed that seeing as they've replaced everything else the wiper motor is the only think left.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
they started working as normal today - instead now ive go a new fault on my car a noise from the under center of the car vibration coming thru as if theres a stone in the front tyre

Oh well will stack the faults up and get honda to have a look at it

21 - 40 of 90 Posts