2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm lucky, my civic hasn't got any problems... except the one, my auto wipers don't work!

I set it to auto on the stick, and it just goes to the intermittent. Have tried many settings, but auto selected (the most obvious setting!) doesn't seem to work. Have tried on dry days, cleaned the windscreen, tired on wet days, even tried spraying it with a hosepipe (while the ban was on ahem :oops: ) while my girlfriend played with the settings.

Am I being really stupid and missing an obvious setting?!

Anyways, if i can't get it to work off to my local dealers - also while i'm there going to ask about Ipod connectivity, apparently they can get me a 'good deal'! i don't belive them.

But is there something I'm missing with the wipers?!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I think it's not that difficult to put the whipers on auto, so I think they don't work, and you have to go to the dealer to have a look at it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The wipers have no intermittent settings. If you put the wipers on 'auto', the rotating collar just changes the sensitivity to water on the sensor area.

What actually happens when you put the wipers on auto? Do they just wipe regarless, or not at all?

Does the wiper blade actually clear the sensor area? It could be that the wrong length blades are fitted...

Does the light sensor (next to the rain sensor) work?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lights come on and off fine - would like to adjust sensitivity but thats a different thread.

In auto setting they just go at what is presumably the intermittent settings. They go but only at intermittent speeds, and with no variation depending if it is dry/wet/damp on the screen.
As far as I am aware they clear the sensor, but will check.

When in 'normal' settings the wipers are fine, some the better ones i have had on cars.

I think it will just have to be a trip to the dealers over the weekend to sort it out.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I always use the 'Auto' selection to my wipers.

The performance is just about right, keeping the screen clean when necessary and if required auto-bunged into a fast wipe when those trucks go by!

"Do not play leap-frog with a unicorn!"

Charles H.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
They do take a bit of getting used to and they don't have an intemittent setting if they work it's the auto taking care of the required wipe.
You need to fiddle with the setting knob, I find it best on the most sensitive setting which is rotated forward.
As CH says excellent when passing trucks or that sudden heavy spray when the go onto fast speed briefly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Late update to this, but after having a prob with my radio (may fault!) decided to reset everything by disconnecting the batt.

Didn't fix the radio, but now the wipers work fine.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Doesn't it say in the handbook that auto doesn't work below 6MPH? - presumably you were stationary when using the hosepipe.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
They work OK in my car when I'm stationary!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
... yeah & unfortunately they work when the guys at our local hand car wash got to the windscreen too! Oops. :oops:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Doesn't it say in the handbook that auto doesn't work below 6MPH? - presumably you were stationary when using the hosepipe.
Not on my Millie they won't.

When scraping down the screen (I was stationary!) in the recent cold snap I had to do a merry dance to avoid that giant wiper trying to take my arm off!

Worth mentioning to the stealer if it's not supposed to happen?

"My KFC is a 'drive thru' but you still have to stop!"

Charles H.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not on my Millie they won't.

When scraping down the screen (I was stationary!) in the recent cold snap I had to do a merry dance to avoid that giant wiper trying to take my arm off!

Worth mentioning to the stealer if it's not supposed to happen?

"My KFC is a 'drive thru' but you still have to stop!"

Charles H.
Same happens with mine.
But I think it is doing as it should.
If you are stationary in the rain I would want the wipers to work, I still want to see out of the car. It must be safer to be able to see before you set off.

Ian

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
hmmmmm

pg 134:
'This function is available when the vehicle speed exceeds 6pmh'

however - thinking back, what that might mean is that it's sort of turned on once you go above 6mph, and stays turned on even if you become stationary, until you turn off the ignition?

That would tie in with what happens to mine - after a night of rain I have to give the stick a quick push into manual wipe before pulling off, but once I've moved, they still wipe on auto even if I stop at a red traffic light or whatever :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
hmmmmm

pg 134:
'This function is available when the vehicle speed exceeds 6pmh'

however - thinking back, what that might mean is that it's sort of turned on once you go above 6mph, and stays turned on even if you become stationary, until you turn off the ignition?

That would tie in with what happens to mine - after a night of rain I have to give the stick a quick push into manual wipe before pulling off, but once I've moved, they still wipe on auto even if I stop at a red traffic light or whatever :)
I think the sensor only detects changes in front of it. Wen starting the car with water on the windscreen the wipers doesn't start. If it's raining it does.
That also explains that when there's snow or ice on the windscreen the wipers only start after you have started scraping.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
possibly :D

although just to throw this nugget in too...

This morning, windscreen was wet - to the point that I could hardly see out of it. But it was no longer raining.

However, I live in a cul-de-sac, so having pulled out of the parking space (forwards), I then reversed back up the road to turn around.

Whilst reversing, I must have got to 10mph, as the doors auto locked.
And the wipers wiped :D

I dunno :lol: It's all magic - but I'm happy cos it just works :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts