2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That bastion of quality motoring journals, Autocar are running a diesel Civic ES as part of their long term fleet. The first report is in the latest issue.

So far the chap loves the engine although bizarrely says it's very clattery at idle. Likes the glass roof, the space inside and the solidity of the dash. Not so keen on the rear vision and is only getting 38mpg :)?).

Should be interesting to see how it performs as they tend to pile on the miles very quickly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thxs StGeli for that. Always try and sneak a look while I am waiting for the train but Autocar have started coming in sealed covers. I thought I had flicked thro the most recent edition but will have another look tomorrow. I think TestDrive run one (black diesel) as well as TopGear magazine (a red one, not sure what model).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oppps, just realised StGeli's post was quite a while ago !!

TestDrive magazine's long term car is also getting around the same eg 38 mpg. They are getting 35 mpg from their Golf GTI Mk V !!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
TopGear Mag is quoting 41.2 MPG in the current issue, down from 41.8 in the first issue it featured in the Lifers section.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats poor for a diesal, but then again maybe most of their journeys are in and around London, so a lot of time in Traffic.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Was waking through London Waterloo this morning and did my usual Wednesday morning trip thro WH Smiths and thought I'd flick thro this weeks edition of Autocar and what do I find but an 8,500 mile update report on their Civic 2.2CDTi-ES !!!

From my quick glance they didn't like the economy they were getting from the diesel (38mpg as mentioned above but I got the impression they were giving it a fair bit of stick and they liked it as a drivers car), rear visibility, poor interior material quality (velour picks up dust etc, and surfaces pick up scratched easily) - both of which members have commented on. They did like the diesel engine itself and, being an ES, the standard glass roof. Can't remember the rest but I'll probably pick up a copy to read on my journey home and come back to you lot this evening.

Anyway hope people find this useful.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes very useful and as you say the comments seem to fit in with the posts on here.
See what other gems you can dig out.
Hope you had a good day down there in Southern England (Hope your weather is better than ours at the moment- rather grey and very damp- what do I hear about the North?)

·
Registered
277 Posts
It is quite nice as I look out the office window but a little chilly this morning walking to the station.

I know all about "The North" or where that place is above Watford. My folks moved us up to Preston, Lancashire after I sat O'Levels (what are they I hear all those upstarts saying) and went to Uni in Manchester. Ahh, fond memories.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I will let you off...
Did you go to St Annes for your hols by the sea then?
Both Preston (Proud Preston with a port then?) and MU both count as proper North to me.
I bet those from Northumberland etc call Lancs the Midlands.
Hope all those from abroad understand this "banter" between the North and the South.
Does it happen elsewhere?
Soon be dinner time so time to Civic spot out of the window..

·
Registered
975 Posts
read the article really good areas they have commented on and bad ones too, ill post it later the article.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
SUPERTEACH said:
I will let you off...
Did you go to St Annes for your hols by the sea then?
Both Preston (Proud Preston with a port then?) and MU both count as proper North to me.
I bet those from Northumberland etc call Lancs the Midlands.
Hope all those from abroad understand this "banter" between the North and the South.
Does it happen elsewhere?
Soon be dinner time so time to Civic spot out of the window..
Your South of me, but I won't hold that against you. :wink:

·
Registered
702 Posts
"Your South of me, but I won't hold that against you."

Sounds like a lyric from a Britney Spears CD

How much further South then?

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
SUPERTEACH said:
"Your South of me, but I won't hold that against you."

Sounds like a lyric from a Britney Spears CD

How much further South then?
When you say -- How much further South then ?.

Is that the second line from the Britney Spears song ?.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Newboy said:
It is quite nice as I look out the office window but a little chilly this morning walking to the station.

I know all about "The North" or where that place is above Watford. My folks moved us up to Preston, Lancashire after I sat O'Levels (what are they I hear all those upstarts saying) and went to Uni in Manchester. Ahh, fond memories.
Notice you left us as soon as possible :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
if they are only getting 38 mpg out of the car is it that there is somthing wrong with the car or is it the driver ? all i can say is i am getting 52 mpg teaching people to drive and on a long run i can get up to 57 to 58 mpg on a 210 mile pass plus which takes in town and country driving along with moterways etc i have a civic 2.2 es

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
They drive them like idiots, and in traffic ridden areas. Some of those MPG figures are ridiculous. I'd have to drive my petrol like a loon to get close to them, never mind the diesel.

·
Registered
975 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
they don't like the driving position?

a tad bizzare - ok, I had to play with the seat for a while to get it quite where I wanted it, but now I have, I find that it suits my 5'9" bod very well :)

cheers for that sco :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts