2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Civic featured in Autocar issue 250 this week with a 14,000 mile report, my scanners broken but here's what it says!

Honda Civic 2.2 I-CTDI ES: 14,000 miles, 38.4mpg, no faults.

The Civic has carried out its duties this autumn with characteristic capability. The heater is efficient, the windscreen demists in moments and i know when the really heavy frosts descend i'll spend almost no time risking frostbite to scrape ice from the windows.

A couple of brisk drives along some of my favourite B-roads have also confirmed my faith in the Civic's dynamics. Although it possesses little finesse over bumpier roads, the Civic is a really rewarding drive thanks to the great steering feedback and response, and high levels of grip. It's reassuring to know i can enjoy myself and that i'll find my limits weel before i find those of the car.

I havn't been the only occupant of our Civic either, Autocar's deputy editor, Rory Lumsdon, took the Civic to the coast on a surfing trip. His reports were similarly flattering, as the Civic proved to be as able at transporting wetsuits and surfboards as photographic gear. Other staffers agree acknowledging the Civic as a great ownership prospect.

What does remain an enigma is the Civics economy. Given that the average mpg sits stubbornly around 38 to the gallon, i do wonder at the efficiency claims. However reports from readers who are returning better figures from petrol driven civics would suggest that the reason for our cars thirst is Autocar staffers habitually heavy right feet.

When i first got the car i feared that Honda's anodyne efficiency and reliability would suffocate any emotional attachment that might otherwise flourish with the car. The Civics looks went a long way to solving this before i got into the cabin, and with many hours now spent in the driving seat i've now formed a strong bond with the car. Soulless Japanese engineering? What's that?​

Mitch Peshavria

Overall pretty good i think, i agree with the point about the mpg, I'm clearly enjoying it as much as they are!

Paddy

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
38 in the diesel is ridiculous.

This is what's happened.

The car is a press car - hammered with lots of short runs and thrashing. This means the mpg on B (lifetime of the car) is pretty damned low. They've clearly not pressed the button to see the A trip/tankful mileage.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Not entirely convinced (though possible)... At Autocar the cars have a log and all fuel and mileage is recorded. I can get mine down to 42mpg average, which will be about 40 real life, only 1.5 off what they get. The saving grace with our car is Jayne, who does long journeys on A roads, where the economy is great.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I find reports like this to be little more than a flowery piece of journalism. We learn that the heater is efficient and the car can carry wetsuites as well as photographic equipment, like almost every other car on the road.
How I wish these reports were carried out by garage mechanics or similar.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too have read many reports [not just Autocar] expressing dissappointment about fuel consumption, even the diesel. I wonder if they always drive off with wheelspin? My 1.8 ES petrol easily does 42 mpg and on one slow moving motorway journey - they'll all be like that soon - I recorded 50.2 mpg on the display! OK so it only lasted a mile or so but any advance on that??

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find reports like this to be little more than a flowery piece of journalism. We learn that the heater is efficient and the car can carry wetsuites as well as photographic equipment, like almost every other car on the road.
How I wish these reports were carried out by garage mechanics or similar.
I agree pcr, i for one don't need to know how many smarties the door pockets can hold or how many pairs of wellies i can fit in the glove box...But it paints a nice picture for the 'ordinary' folk in their astras.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Am driving a 1.8 loan car at the moment. When I picked it up the trip computer showed 500 miles at 33mpg. I reset it, and it now reads 100 miles at 46 mpg. How you drive makes a big difference.

On a 400 mile trip, mostly motorway, sticking to 70 mph, with three adults, my 1.8 EX showed 50.1 mpg on the trip computer.

My average over 3000 miles from new is 43mpg.

·
Registered
975 Posts
seeing as they only gave it 3 stars when in all the areas they gave it 4 - dosent add up lol - they have been very flattering in all their longterm reports about it so far

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
If driven hard or on short journeys you'll get 38 easily!
I've had mine down as low as 32mpg actual (the car said 34.7) this was on a tank full with an av speed of 18mph. Overall over 12K miles it returned 40mpg this covers all sorts of driving but if you drive sensibly with a light foot you'll get high 50's very easily.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My "B" tip hasn't been reset since it left the dealer. It is showing 50.1mpg after nearly 7000 miles. I don't hang arround! But do lots of 40 mile motorway trips.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
38 mpg ;)how the heck they get that lol even how ive tested my car over the last 1,300 miles im still doing 49.5 :) but have seen 31 ;) 36 mph ave but doing 48 real 49 on comp , so im happy with the mpg from the cdti when i stop driving like my bum on fire looking forward to low- mid 50s ;) but will never drive slow ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
only 33mpg :oops: But it's mostly city driving with heavy traffic + i like to step on the pedal a bit harder than i should :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts