2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I took delivery of a new 1.6 Diesel Civic in September 2014. This is my third Diesel Civic having previously had 2.2's, The new one has key-less operation and auto-stop. Within the first couple of weeks the engine once stopped at an inappropriate moment as I was about to accelerate onto a roundabout. Having never driven an auto-stop I knee-jerked and pressed the start/stop button which turned the ignition off completely just as the system was re-starting the engine. I put this down to auto-stop 'getting into a muddle' and warned myself never to 'dawdle' at junctions. For at least six months auto-stop behaved itself, Then out of the blue a similar thing happened four or five times over a period of two days (and 500 miles) – except that this time everything, - engine, dash, radio and headlights also died indicating that there had been a total loss of electrical power but most times, everything restarted without human intervention. During its first service I mentioned the problems to the dealer but he could find nothing amiss. For the last twelve months the radio has cut and rebooted on more than a dozen occasions but the engine, dash, lights etc have only cut two or three times and each time have restarted automatically after a second or two. The only things common to many of these occasions is that they mostly occur whilst slowing to a halt and often when pointing downhill. It's going back to the dealer soon for another service but I wondered whether anyone had any ideas beforehand?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I would take it to the dealer immediately, don't wait for your next service. Your car is still under warranty. They should start by plugging your car in and doing a full diagnostic check which should be followed by applying the latest software updates for good measure. Could it be a faulty battery? If this is even a possibility, they should replace it.

I'm not sure how thorough your dealer has been when you first highlighted the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I'm also not sure how 'thorough' they were as they had a service to do. I'll book it in tomorrow and post back the results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts