2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, once my type r is on the road in june i will be getting a major service done and was wondering how many of you guys have changed the tensioner for the aux belt? Is this a common part to fail? Or anybody used a aftermarket cheaper tensioner? Tegiwa have it for £110 at the moment wich is cheaper than Cox.

·
Registered
Milano Red Fn2
418 Posts
Morning, I had mine done recently, the bearings were really noisy. Got a ridex tensioner which with their savings worked out at £30 from Autodoc, also got the top pulley and belt at the same time. There have been no problems so far, the only thing I will say is that fitting is a pig due to the limited space in the engine bay, deffo one for a garage to do 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
I just changed the belt, checked all the pulleys and as there were no noises or freeplay didn't bother to do more.
Mind you car's only done 56k miles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morning, I had mine done recently, the bearings were really noisy. Got a ridex tensioner which with their savings worked out at £30 from Autodoc, also got the top pulley and belt at the same time. There have been no problems so far, the only thing I will say is that fitting is a pig due to the limited space in the engine bay, deffo one for a garage to do 👍🏻
Thanks for the info dude

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the pulley come with the tensioner?

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
you can get the pulley separately but then have to remove adjuster to fit it.
if budget allows may as well replace whole thing.

·
Registered
Type R FN2 facelift LSD
60 Posts
I just changed my belt, tensioner pulley and idle guide pulley it’s not a bad job. Changed for a gates belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Heres the bearing, if you have the facilities you can always just buy a new bearing and replace it for a cheap alternative.

I fitted a new top idler on mine when I did the aux belt. My tensioner bearing sounded a bit dry but had no play. I just popped off the seal, cleaned out the old dry grease and re-greased it. Took the pic to buy a bearing for the future.

Amazes me how the majority of these cars have such old looking aux belts! Every one I saw for sale was old and brown. Mind you I changed all the fluids and the clutch fluid looked like mud!

·
Registered
Milano Red Fn2
418 Posts
Amazes me how the majority of these cars have such old looking aux belts! Every one I saw for sale was old and brown. Mind you I changed all the fluids and the clutch fluid looked like mud!
My belt was the same, old looking and brown, and when I changed the gearbox oil it was like treacle 😳 I’d say fluid changes are a must when you pick up an Fn2, even if it’s been serviced recently you just never know.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
they go brown from picking up surface rust from the tensioner pulley which is smooth and runs on the outside of the belt, all the other pulleys run on the inside.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they go brown from picking up surface rust from the tensioner pulley which is smooth and runs on the outside of the belt, all the other pulleys run on the inside.
Are the oem honda aux belts not meant to be brown? Because they are carbon kevlar.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts