2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 civic type s gt and although it has many features i was surprised to find out that it does not have an aux jack (although it has a cd/aux button on the stereo). I have a parrot ck3100 in the car but the latter version does not allow you to play songs via your bluetooth device.

How can i connect my ipod/mp3/mobile in order to play mp3 through my speakers? I would prefer a direct connection (i dont like the fm transmitter as the sound quality is poor).

Would you recommend buying a newer version of the parrot and syncing my mobile to it so i can play songs whilst having my phone connected to the stereo?

or do you recommend that i leave the existing parrot and connect my ipod/mp3 instead of my phone in order to play songs? (my ipod does not have bluetooth and thus i cannot connect it to a parrot) If so, which is the best way to connect my ipod/mp3 to the stereo?

·
Registered
337 Posts
The CK3100 is a good unit, just keep the firmware updated and it shouldn't give you any trouble. Regarding the iPod/Aux connection, have a read on this site and your'll find everything you need to know. The sticky's are your friend!!

·
Hairy Northerner
165 Posts

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Dension, ftw ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the great tutorial.

Where did you get the Honda Y splitter? Is this a common item?

I have a 6 CD changer (Civic Hybrid 2008) and honda say that I can only have the CD player OR the ipod adaptor (I bought one on ebay). Is this true?
Would the splitter work?

Al

·
9,228 Posts
I think temppeck you can only have one or the other as the xcarlink emulates a cd changer
With the Y-Cable fitted, I believe you could have both, just as long as only one was in use at any one time - after all, the HU doesn't know where the signals are coming from - but then, if you have a decent aux-in device, why would you need or want the CD-changer as well ? - I'd remove it and try to sell it ...

@ [temppeck] - the Y-Cable is a standard Honda part, and quite cheap - I fitted one when I had the Dension 300 unit installed, as I then have an easily accessible connection point for any future extra kit ...

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Interesting I only thought you needed the y cable if you had sat nav. My car has sat nav but no factory fitted its a Garmin nuvi with Honda on it which has been retro fitted, it can play mp3 but only through its speaker

·
9,228 Posts
Interesting I only thought you needed the y cable if you had sat nav. My car has sat nav but no factory fitted its a Garmin nuvi with Honda on it which has been retro fitted, it can play mp3 but only through its speaker
Ah, that does change perhaps change things ...

However, the Y-Cable plugs into the HU, so you should be able to use it, as it has nothing to do with the SatNav at all ...

The benefit of the Y-Cable is, that if you want to connect a second "aux-in" or whatever in the future, you don't need to 'pull' the HU, as the unused leg of the cable is hanging down in plain sight ...

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
??? The Sat nav audio gets into the HU via th aux in port, hence the need for the y cable when fitting cd changer, dension, xcarlink... So I'm confused to how yours is hanging with a spare port?

·
9,228 Posts
??? The Sat nav audio gets into the HU via the aux in port, hence the need for the y cable when fitting cd changer, dension, xcarlink... So I'm confused to how yours is hanging with a spare port?
Rember my earlier "rants" about the baboons who work for my local dealer ? ...

When they first installed the Dension 300, thay handed me back the Y-Cable, as "it wasn't needed" - they connected straight to the empty 'aux-in' port, and everything worked just fine (a few guys in here have done the same) ...

I insisted they use the Y-Cable (and fit the other input cables !) - which means the Dension unit plugs into one leg of the Y-Cable (which is then connected to the HU) and the other leg is lying unused ...

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
Rember my earlier "rants" about the baboons who work for my local dealer ? ...

When they first installed the Dension 300, thay handed me back the Y-Cable, as "it wasn't needed" - they connected straight to the empty 'aux-in' port, and everything worked just fine (a few guys in here have done the same) ...

I insisted they use the Y-Cable (and fit the other input cables !) - which means the Dension unit plugs into one leg of the Y-Cable (which is then connected to the HU) and the other leg is lying unused ...
I'm confused, do all EX head units have an empty Aux in?
I intend to install the xcarlink and won't bother buying the Y splitter if it's not needed.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I'm confused too... When I installed my connects2 into my 06 EX, there was part of the loom plugged into the rear of the HU. Looking at the wiring diagrams, this cable links to the HFT and Navigation allowing phone calls and Sat Nav instructions to be routed through the HU.

You can just see it in Tony's PDF guide here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/41667-how-install-xcarlink-2008-civic-ex.html (last pic of page 8 - rear of HU)

Hence removing it would cause problems with the Nav sound, and thats why you need the Y cable, because the H only has one port.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adding a simple AUX in connection to 08 plate ES

Hi All,
New to the forum having just bought an 08 plate ES 2.2 CDTI. Love It !!

Just looking for some tips about adding the MP3 aux connectivity options.

PDF guide is great.

My ES has no SAT-NAV so do I just need to purchase a Xcarlink.com Honda USB/SD MP3 Interface Module Model V and defo NOT the Y connector??

Also, I'm not fussy about the USB and card-reader so is there a cheaper version that simply gives a line-in aux input that i can use with either my Galaxy S2 phone or 160GB Ipod classic (all simply by line-in and line-out AUX)

If i can get a simply line-in aux version (without the USB and card reader headers) is it simple to install in the slot underneath the CD unit itself (the small space like where you may stick sun glasses etc.)

Any help appreciated. Apologies in advance if i'm breaking forum rules with my first post !!

:p

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Hi All,
New to the forum having just bought an 08 plate ES 2.2 CDTI. Love It !!

PDF guide is great.

My ES has no SAT-NAV so do I just need to purchase a Xcarlink.com Honda USB/SD MP3 Interface Module Model V and defo NOT the Y connector??

Also, I'm not fussy about the USB and card-reader so is there a cheaper version that simply gives a line-in aux input that i can use with either my Galaxy S2 phone or 160GB Ipod classic (all simply by line-in and line-out AUX)

If i can get a simply line-in aux version (without the USB and card reader headers) is it simple to install in the slot underneath the CD unit itself (the small space like where you may stick sun glasses etc.)

Any help appreciated. Apologies in advance if i'm breaking forum rules with my first post !!

:p
Correct with the "no Y connector".

Look at the Connects2 device as it is a simpler box that just has a line-in.

·
9,228 Posts
Hi All, New to the forum having just bought an 08 plate ES 2.2 CDTI. Love It !!

PDF guide is great.

Any help appreciated. Apologies in advance if i'm breaking forum rules with my first post !! :p
So, you are looking for an Aux-In, that only has both "iThing" and 3.5mm phono connections ? ...

Can't think of one, off-hand, I must confess ! ...

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
So, you are looking for an Aux-In, that only has both "iThing" and 3.5mm phono connections ? ...

Can't think of one, off-hand, I must confess ! ...

I think that slaysind is after just an AUX connection? Connects2 unless I'm mistaken should solve that.

If an i-Port and Aux are required then I'm stuck too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts