2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone of you highly knowledgable people out there know how to reset the average speed screen??

Since I have had my Civic since Friday evening until I parked it this morning (first car in the carpark and also in front of the office so everyone else who arrives will see the sparkling shiny car!) the average speed reading has been 33 mph... 40 mile trip on the M60 this morning at 87 mph surely would have changed this? :D

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Average speed can be reset by holding the 'sel/res' button (under the info button) for a couple of seconds. If you pres it once, it toggle between average speed of trip a and b.

87mph?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that yesterday and didn't seem to work but I'll try again...

yes it was 87 mph.. a speed I couldn't get to without nearly shattering my old 998cc Micra... the problem I've got now is that at 87mph (more or less) i can't feel it...

time to set the speed alarms then!!!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I assume you live in a country with no speed restrictions. Posts/boasts about illegal speeding are frowned upon here.

Secondly, I think a lot of people misunderstand the concept of average speed. This will include all the time the car is stationary but with the engine running. For every minute you spend at lights, or waiting at a junction, you need to be doing 68mph for the same amount of time JUST to achieve the 33mph average.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I did notice my speed of 87 I did slow down which was my point

The fact is that I can't really feel the speed that I am travelling which I could in my previous car, every car I have driven (learnt in a C2 and then my micra) have had engine sizes below 1.2 so because of the engine size difference in these compared to my new Civic it is an odd sensation that you can't really feel that you are travelling fast.

Hand on heart 99.9% of the time I am always below the maximum speeds in towns, villages and motorways, it is just that before I drove my Civic I could tell the speed I was travelling by how the car felt - which I'm sure everyone has had this "problem" if you will

Apologies to all if it may have seemed a boast about driving at 87mph but that was part of my point I was trying to get across

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have found this car can speed up easily without you meaning to on motorways. The biggest problem comes from the subconscious urge to 'keep up' with the cars in front without realising. In the past and in other cars I have exceeded the limit this way by accident. Now I have the speed alarm set to 75, so if I hear it I know my speed is creeping up. But with a speedo in the line of sight there is no excuse!

The easiest way for me to make sure I stick to 70 is useing the cruise control, but that is lazy! It also doesn't stop the car picking up speed under it's own weight down hill, but not many are steep enough to speed you up past 70, and I would certainly drive a lot slower down the hill than that!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
When I did notice my speed of 87 I did slow down which was my point

The fact is that I can't really feel the speed that I am travelling which I could in my previous car, every car I have driven (learnt in a C2 and then my micra) have had engine sizes below 1.2 so because of the engine size difference in these compared to my new Civic it is an odd sensation that you can't really feel that you are travelling fast.

Hand on heart 99.9% of the time I am always below the maximum speeds in towns, villages and motorways, it is just that before I drove my Civic I could tell the speed I was travelling by how the car felt - which I'm sure everyone has had this "problem" if you will

Apologies to all if it may have seemed a boast about driving at 87mph but that was part of my point I was trying to get across
No worries. Just trying to keep a handle on speeding related stuff for various reasons. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts