2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked bank account and noticed a charge of £4 to a company called Avon insurance, a partner of Lloyds tsb I think.

Had a quick google as didn't expect the payment at all, and found out its some sort of "tick box" trick

Basically they offer an extra for free, they don't tell you that it's £4 a month after 6 months with no end date

If you don't un tick the box then you get it added to your policy, why would you in tick it though its free right! ( I mean who trawls through the small print? )

So just rung RAC and it works out that it is 6months today since my policy started and first payment came out today

Now got a number 0844 854 0759. To cancel the additional policy hopefully

I advise everyone to check their accounts for similar things, is occasionally £3.99 aswell

Will update tomorrow when their offices are open .

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
They also tack this on to other insurance products (home, contents etc.) so be aware!

It's like when you install software and have to untick the "Install <sponsored product> toolbar" option...

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still haven't got round to cancelling mine lol keep forgetting about it then never getting round to doing it

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
Any free trial that requires my CC number gets a wide berth from me as they often rely on you forgetting to cancel.

A lot of these scams also make it very difficult to cancel, as well.

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
This is not rally a scam.

Just a added option they gave you a trial with and you didn't opt out
I agree with this but if you just go into a branch and say you will write an official complaint unless they refund you it will be sorted in 10 seconds with branch manager.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
The cost of such an extra should have been clearly highlighted at the point of sale. Something like Free Insurance for 6 months (2.99 a month thereafter). Really it should say this right next to the tick box.

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
What was the extra? Is it worth the £4?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm another 'victim' of this scam. I also checked my account and wondered about £4 per month repeat - not direct debit or standing order - payment that I had been paying for TWO years! Rang Avon Insurance and spoke to a rather obnoxious woman and after a fifteen minute conversation agreed to a full refund of £120. Result!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts