2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Natural Aspirations
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I did a MAC driver training course in my civic. The gentleman that was giving me the instruction (who, over his many years driving and training police drivers, has driven and owned 30+ Hondas, from Jazz to NSX!) said that a good way to combat the bugs accumulated over the summer days was baby oil.

He said to cover the front of the a clean car with baby oil, then the bugs get stuck on that and then you just "wipe it off".

I can't say I rushed out to oil my car and am a bit sceptical but I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this or even tried it!

Cheers
Tom

NB: I accept no responsibility if you decide to spread baby oil on your car and try to slide across the bonnet a la Starsky, slip off and hurt yourself!

NBB: Not that the Civic's bonnet is particularly suited for that anyway!

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
baby oil the bonnet ?? my mrs will think i'm being kinky !!

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
I heard chocolate sauce and whipped cream is good

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Posts like this bug me!;)
Wouldn't even more bugs stick, and loads of dust as well? Then wiping it off would scratch.......but if the bloke says so........maybe try on a little patch first.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Wouldn't even more bugs stick, and loads of dust as well? Then wiping it off would scratch.......but if the bloke says so........maybe try on a little patch first.
I think you would just wash off with a hose or jet wash wouldnt you, instead of standing there wasting your token trying to squeeze off the last bumble bee with your prewash??!

·
Natural Aspirations
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Good sealers and waxes applied to the car will make cleaning off flies a doddle, especially with a foam lance first
Baby oil..err....No!

·
<3
2,103 Posts
spit apparently works well
[smilie=giggle.gif][smilie=giggle.gif] ahhh thats soo funny. The neighbours would think we had deffo flipped if we starting spitting on our cars.

I think I will just stick to the traditional methods of washing the flies off - can think of much better uses for baby oil

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
It makes sense, best solvent for greasy things is... grease. I use WD40 which works well too, you can use it even on stubborn stains on the alloys or to remove tar marks (be careful not to spray your brake discs though) ;)

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Johnsons Baby Oil Gel With Chamomile & Multi-vitamin Complex

Looks promising,, good for your hands to, Bonus :)

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Surely the baby oil can't be good for the paintwork...as baby oil attracts the sun and for example if applied to skin...you burn burn burn....
I imagine after many uses, or perhaps a couple of years the bonnet would be a lot lighter than the rest of the car!?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts