2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:worms:Hi all after several years in my wife's less than tender care I once more am the main driver of our 2006 2.2 Type S GT . So I'm going to try and resolve as many issues as I can over the next few months. The main ones now are:
1.Blow from exhaust manifold (currently being escalated through Honda UK as dealer does not want to know)
2.Wiper Motor fault, every time you start the car they wipe several times and don't park correctly and don't seem to work correctly on auto (going to try cleaning the grease in the motor)
3.various clunks and suspension creaks ( might just live with these or go for a suspension kit to resolve, are Konis and eibach springs still regarded as the best for road use, don't want it too low?)
4.seat on drivers side appears slightly twisted? ( any ideas?)
5.Lots of paintwork issues mainly scratches where her car was vandalised at her old work by kids in the school, both doors rear quarters and bonnet. ( going to get a quote to sort and get full paint correction and wax)
6.Might need more drastic action on bonnet has lots of chips and dings from stones so maybe a carbon wrap ?
7.Couple of car park digs inc one on drivers door swage line
8.Full interior clean maybe seats out even!
9.Restore front plastic lights as bit cloudy and marks where old beam deflectors were fitted for long term use.
10.Clean mould from rear light tops on hatch.
11.Replace boot struts as sagging and leaky.
12.Some nice LED bulbs for side and rear and interior lights maybe a H7r HID kit for the dipped lights and matching hi beam bulbs or is LED now the thing to have?
13.Regas aircon as not blowing cold (relay replaced last year as battery was going flat so new one fitted no further issues )

Any thing else I should be looking for? car has done 111k miles and had the clutch done under warranty at 34k but shows no issues since she says she still loves driving it even though she has let it go somewhat but we have been very busy with jobs health issues and babies too!

Having re read the list I must be mad

·
Administrator
17,961 Posts
Cripes, that'll keep you busy for a while!

At that mileage your dampers are likely to be shot, OEM replacements can be sought relatively cheaply. Once the dampers are working the OEM springs will be fine (provided that aren't broken).

The expensive clutch should keep going provided you don't rag the car.

The tailgate rams can be replaced with Merc units at a fraction of the cost ;) http://www.civinfo.com/forum/general-discussion/252506-boot-lid-gas-struts.html

Good luck and welcome back :)

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update!

Well not much progress as wanted to be sure I didn't have a huge bill to sort the exhaust manifold ! That is now rebooked at a different dealer who acknowledge the problem and should be rectified foc next month.
Rear boot struts done a 2 minute job and now have merc ML units which are fantastic so thanks to those who suggested them .
Window reset done so drivers window now behaving
Lights and body work refresh are pending as is suspension .

Anyone got any idea the cheapest source for Konis and Eibachs?

Add to the list :
Drivers mirror folding does not reset when unfolding

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well we are getting along pretty well:

Exhaust manifold replaced under warranty
Boot struts replaced with Merc ML ones as recommended on here fantastic !
Full service including brake fluid, clutch fluid and coolant replaced, just gearbox oil to do .
4x Goodyear Asm3 fitted 225 45 17 91y (still trying to get correct front pressures!)
Aircon regassed and now blowing cold . Relay already done.
Brake hoses replaced with Doluck from the group buy years ago.
Headlights restored along with Perspex grill
New brakes all round pads and discs
New Drop links at front = no more clunks!
Wiper motor removed and degreased so wipers now park correctly.
New wiper blades.
EGR valve removed and cleaned.
whole car cleaned and polished. mould from windows and rear lights removed.

Still to do:
Fit towbar and 7 pin electrics
Repair drivers wing mirror stop pin (anyone done this?)
Locate and change wiper relay for the updated one I bought (Please help if you know where it is!)
Change gearbox oil once I have the correct stuff
replace wiper cover on pass side arm as its missing
change gearbox oil
Deep clean seats and mats
Cant decide what to do with lights think it might be a full led kit plus HID for dipped beam?
get scratches and dinks attended to and sort the bonnet out

Drives very well now and looks are inproving!
If you can help on information on the items still to do please let me know

·
Administrator
17,961 Posts
That's a mighty set of updates, well done

F1 Assym2's have soft sidewalls, so found running them harder benefitted the ride and gave the tyre a better shape. Are the 3's similar?

New gearbox oil should see an improvement.

Keep at it

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update number 2 :
What a great car !

Had to change rear pads and discs as 1 pad nsr outer went to metal so quickly but it was not a seized calliper allegedly but the garage failed to ensure they were freely moving when they fitted for last years mot they were Pagid as are the replacements but apparently need checking and sometimes too thick paint removing to ensure they fit properly? All other pads show plenty of material left ? Issue for me it happened in france on the way to the outlaws so didn't have windback tool with me so just was very gentle for the week not doing any use apart from the journey home but disc was worn too so full set fitted .
Clutch and dmf done with 325 spec clutch from LUK, had begun to slip at 121 k at peak torque, brilliant now.
Tow bar all fitted, very simple wiring now using our camping trailer.
New front shocks std Sachs fitted and it rides like a dream all the clunks and slightly "bobbley" ride has vanished it drives as good as I remember when new.
Mirror only fixed by unplugging the folding mech drive its still heated and mirror glass adjusts but no folding eventually might order a replacement from ECP .
Gearbox oil changed with genuine oil from coxs
Updated 2016 sat nav map
cover for wiper arm fitted .
Never did find a wiper relay Honda told me if car has auto wipers there is no separate relay, so anyone want one cheap?
Engine service with shell helix 0w30 fully synthetic oil
New MOT no advisories

Had a bit of an issue with EML light coming on soon after clutch done, initially thought there was a pipe come off as getting p1237 error low boost pressure. upon investigation it was an actuator solenoid gone we confirmed the fault in a very easy way as the civic has 2 one for the turbo and one for the EGR valve so both the same part number ( Nippon denso 1397000870 ) so we swapped them over and lo and behold we now had an error code for EGR valve , they are listed by Honda at an eye watering £224.95 and although I had a part number no aftermarket availability even from ND themselves. So £23 on ebay got me a used one delivered in 48 hours and it worked. Just so happy it wasn't the turbo.
This is what it looked like: Hmmm that didn't work need to look up how to attach pic!

So what next ?
Going to fit the winter tyres and steels this week
Well today I noticed a missing cover for the roof bars so I will need to order some more from Coxs if they still have them .
Now clutch is sorted a mild remap may be in order with maybe EGR Delete ?
Probably do rear shocks after Christmas as fronts now feel so good and car has 122k
still need to sort bodywork scratches and the grey wheelarch and associated trim that keeps going all mottled maybe splash out and get all the paint done and the trim colour coded too?
Perhaps a carbon wrap on the bonnet ?
Got a pair of usb sockets to fit from amazon for less than £3 delivered
Some new front mats probably genuine as never really liked the ebay ones and the drivers one is breaking up underneath.
Still need led bulbs ! is anyone using the LED headlights from Mr JP / aurora?

and so it continues......

·
Administrator
17,961 Posts
Epic update pal, epic.

Defo get the rear shocks changed, they often contribute most to the thump, thump ride.

Careful with a remap, if you do then rev her more and don't over stress the clutch with the extra torque too much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well we are getting along pretty well:

Exhaust manifold replaced under warranty
Boot struts replaced with Merc ML ones as recommended on here fantastic !
Full service including brake fluid, clutch fluid and coolant replaced, just gearbox oil to do .
4x Goodyear Asm3 fitted 225 45 17 91y (still trying to get correct front pressures!)
Aircon regassed and now blowing cold . Relay already done.
Brake hoses replaced with Doluck from the group buy years ago.
Headlights restored along with Perspex grill
New brakes all round pads and discs
New Drop links at front = no more clunks!
Wiper motor removed and degreased so wipers now park correctly.
New wiper blades.
EGR valve removed and cleaned.
whole car cleaned and polished. mould from windows and rear lights removed.

Still to do:
Fit towbar and 7 pin electrics
Repair drivers wing mirror stop pin (anyone done this?)
Locate and change wiper relay for the updated one I bought (Please help if you know where it is!)
Change gearbox oil once I have the correct stuff
replace wiper cover on pass side arm as its missing
change gearbox oil
Deep clean seats and mats
Cant decide what to do with lights think it might be a full led kit plus HID for dipped beam?
get scratches and dinks attended to and sort the bonnet out

Drives very well now and looks are inproving!
If you can help on information on the items still to do please let me know
My car has green moss/mould round the edges of rear lights too, how did you clean this?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts