2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Backing up the satnav DVD-ROM

Satnav 
7K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Andy_K 
#1 ·
Has anyone backed up the satnav DVD-ROM?

I thought it would be a good idea to make a backup copy of the provided disc, I don't want it to get corrupted in any way and have to pay (I'm guessing) £100 or more for another.

I discovered when I put the disc into my PC that Honda use a Dual Layer DVD. What I could not discern was if the disk is a DVD-R or DVD+R. I'm guessing -R as +R is not an industry supported format.

Does anyone know?

#5 ·
I haven't tried to back up to my HD, but don't see why I shouldn't. However unless I can copy on to a media that the DVD reader in the car will accept, there isn't that much point on having it on my HD.

I wonder if the DVD-ROM did get corrupted, would it be covered in the 3 year warranty?

#6 ·
Skinhead said:
I haven't tried to back up to my HD, but don't see why I shouldn't. However unless I can copy on to a media that the DVD reader in the car will accept, there isn't that much point on having it on my HD.

I wonder if the DVD-ROM did get corrupted, would it be covered in the 3 year warranty?
I can't see it getting 'corrupted', but maybe damaged or stolen.

Ian

#7 ·
DVDs aren't as resilient as we would hope. Consider that the DVD-ROM will be left in the car all the time, in winter and in summer, it is quite possible that the variations in temperature will take their toll on the disc.

#8 ·
Skinhead said:
DVDs aren't as resilient as we would hope. Consider that the DVD-ROM will be left in the car all the time, in winter and in summer, it is quite possible that the variations in temperature will take their toll on the disc.
Exactly it will be damaged, but not corrupted.

Corrupted by definition means the data on the disc has been changed in some way, but in this case that is not possible as the disc does not get written to or changed.

It can be damaged making it unreadable, but that is not the same as 'corrupted', which implies that the disc will be written to causing carruption to the data.

Ian

#10 ·
Parky said:
Skinhead said:
Exactly it will be damaged, but not corrupted.

Corrupted by definition means the data on the disc has been changed in some way, but in this case that is not possible as the disc does not get written to or changed.

It can be damaged making it unreadable, but that is not the same as 'corrupted', which implies that the disc will be written to causing carruption to the data.

Ian
Okay, strictly speaking you are correct. To me "damaged" would imply that it had been taken out of the drive and been scratched through carelessness etc. Which would mean Honda would not be obliged to replace the disc. It implies a wilful act. But no matter, I just want to be able to have a backup copy. (When I searched for this software from Navteq, it costs £250!)

#13 ·
civicsport said:
it dosn`t matter if its a +R or -R thats just for the compatability with the writing drive, once written and finalised the discs will work in any drive
I would agree with you but these guys (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=142764) seem to have had a problem playing back the +R's on the Alpine drive.

#14 ·
I was hoping on backing mine up as soon as I get it! How much data is on the drive? does it need to be DL?

#16 ·
Performed a DVD backup today, and all is well.

I've tested the copy on a short trip, and it all seems in order. I'll keep the original in the car for a short while, in case of any failures, but then it'll go into my cabinet.

I used the following kit:

Nero 7 Premium - DVD copy at safe (slowest) setting. I chose to keep the image rather than delete it.
NEC 4571A DVD Recorder.
Verbatim DVD-R 4x Dual Layer (Nero chose to burn it at 6x for some reason).

Image copy time was around 10 minutes, and the burn time was about 24 minutes.

Edit: Forgot to add that the blank DVD wouldn't initialise when I tried to copy the image to my LiteOn SOHW-1633S burner (apparently it can only burn +R discs). Luckily I had the NEC fitted too.

#23 ·
basegreen said:
TTDegs said:
basegreen said:
Anyone buying the 2006 edition?
purely out of interest, obviously :D
I dont have the EX.
exactly - purely out of interest.

Mine, cos you're good like that :D

Sorry basegreen, no slur on your character intended :)

#25 ·
karlak said:
Cad said:
I will... if there's a significant improvement in the POI and map data.
If it fixes the poor POI locations - i.e. France being the closest - then this should be a freebie from Honda, under Warranty.
When the pigs fly! If Honda won't supply a £100 spare wheel, I really can't see them providing a DVD if they can persuade customers to pay £300 :?: for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.