2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have 2010 edition Honda Civic 1.8 with full automatic gearbox (not i-shift). I bought it in January 2011 and immediately I noticed high fuel consumtion, especially during city drive. In the city it goes around 15l (about 19mpg) and during the winter months it was even 18l (15.6mpg) which is way too much imho.

I use car every day on open non urban traffic on (slightly curved) road and consumption is around 8.5 l (35mpg), average for 20,000 km since I bought car is around 9.5l (around 30mpg). On highway (i.e. Belgrade-Budapest) consumption was around 9.1l.

Is there anyone here with the same (automatic) gearbox model so we can compare our fuel economy? I already complained to local Serbian Honda dealership but guys there tried to persued me that my fuel economy is caused with short distances (I live in small town), so they told me it's kind of normal especially with automatic!?? However it is still a lot higher compared to declared values so wanted to see your experience with it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
35mpg sounds about right on open roads for the automatic. 19mpg does seem very low though, even for short town journeys. Is it alot of start and stop traffic in the city?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@mpn_daedalus
Are you sure about that? According to specs (Honda Civic 5 Door | Book Test Drive | Specification, Finance & Information) for extra urban it should be 50mpg, 35 is a lot lower than that, that's why I am concerned.

My town is small with narrow streets, plenty of cars and traffic lights. Not really traffic jams with start/stop drive but usually slow drive (except for night hours) with avg speed less than 20kmph :)

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
50mpg in the 1.8, with an auto box? I don't think so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
^that's what they say on honda.co.uk site :)

Just browsed few models and as far as I can tell the lowest mpg is for ES 1.8 automatic which is 48.7 for extra urban. Here are values (copy/paste from honda.co.uk):

CO2 (g/km) 169
Combined (l/100km) 7.3
Combined (mpg) 38.7
Extra urban (l/100km) 5.8
Extra urban (mpg) 48.7
Urban (l/100km) 10
Urban (mpg) 28.2

My model is marked as "executive" locally so have no idea if it is the same model, but at least declared values match completely with what I got from my dealer so I guess "real" mpg values should be little lower but not that lower.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
i managed to get around 48MPG on my 1.8 on the motorway avg 60mph. City driving and it averages 34MPG- cant get below 32mpg no matter how hard i drive.

Seems there is a problem with yours.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
i managed to get around 48MPG on my 1.8 on the motorway avg 60mph. City driving and it averages 34MPG- cant get below 32mpg no matter how hard i drive.

Seems there is a problem with yours.
I think the I-shift is a lot more efficient than a slush box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the I-shift is a lot more efficient than a slush box.
Correct, with i-shift afaik you'd have fuel consumption pretty much the same as with manual gearbox. That's why I asked if there is anyone with full automatic gearbox so I can compare mine.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Correct, with i-shift afaik you'd have fuel consumption pretty much the same as with manual gearbox. That's why I asked if there is anyone with full automatic gearbox so I can compare mine.
Yep, in fact its marginally better than the manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts