2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally heard back from Honda UK today after I called them several times yet again. In fact I flipped and said that if I didnt get a call today I would go to the local Honda dealerships and tell the customers that Hondas are rubbish and then 10 minutes later I get a call :rolleyes:

Anyway - apparently the paint on my car is ok in fact it is even better than the required specification, they are sending me to the report but I doubt it will make much sense to me. Im gutted I cant believe that wiping bird mess off can cause a scratch and a stone can pucker the paint if it is all ok, not to mention the other scratches [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif]

I have booked the car in at Ruislip next week to get a quote for the bodywork, they are going to try and machine polish some of the scratches out but but I have already been told that at least 4 of them have gone down to the primer. I don't really know where to go from here to be honest, I could get the scratches fixed which obviously wont be cheap, but seeing as I have averaged a scratch a month since having the car, is it worth repairing it Im worried it will keep scratching. I could sell it, but it will have lost value with so many marks on the bodywork. I could just keep it scratched but it looks naff and I dont feel very good about it.

Im confused, have a banging headache right now and feel really sad :(
I also still need to get the other bits and pieces fixed but the way I am feeling right now I have lost complete interest and lost any enthusiasm to do anything.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I finally heard back from Honda UK today after I called them several times yet again. In fact I flipped and said that if I didnt get a call today I would go to the local Honda dealerships and tell the customers that Hondas are rubbish and then 10 minutes later I get a call :rolleyes:

Anyway - apparently the paint on my car is ok in fact it is even better than the required specification, they are sending me to the report but I doubt it will make much sense to me. Im gutted I cant believe that wiping bird mess off can cause a scratch and a stone can pucker the paint if it is all ok, not to mention the other scratches [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif]

I have booked the car in at Ruislip next week to get a quote for the bodywork, they are going to try and machine polish some of the scratches out but but I have already been told that at least 4 of them have gone down to the primer. I don't really know where to go from here to be honest, I could get the scratches fixed which obviously wont be cheap, but seeing as I have averaged a scratch a month since having the car, is it worth repairing it Im worried it will keep scratching. I could sell it, but it will have lost value with so many marks on the bodywork. I could just keep it scratched but it looks naff and I dont feel very good about it.

Im confused, have a banging headache right now and feel really sad :(
I also still need to get the other bits and pieces fixed but the way I am feeling right now I have lost complete interest and lost any enthusiasm to do anything.
Keep your chin up topcat ;) , material thing, you wouldnt want the month ive just had....or my shed of peugeot, which is going in 7 days and counting:p

·
estranged
391 Posts
Dreadful news, especially if your paint thickness is 'normal'... it means we're all in for the same damage at some point, as are future buyers.

Did you buy your car with finance? If so you could put the onus on your finance provider to get it fixed.

·
Banned
477 Posts
It may be better to search if there are any standards or norms for the paint thicknesses in automotive applications. If there is, then the next step is to make an inquiry to a consumer rights foundation-- I don't know the exact name for the UK but I think what I mean is clear. They will carry the topic to a team of experts and most probably you will be credited for that.

If the above does not work, then this is what I would do:
It has been proposed that the paint is soft and thus weak, due to its being environmentally friendly basis. If, in the UK, conventional lacquer or acrylic paints are still available to use for repair purposes, I would advise that you have the car painted all over with a hard coated paint that we were used to..
Then you will not have scratches like your current frequency... and still enjoy the drive!

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dreadful news, especially if your paint thickness is 'normal'... it means we're all in for the same damage at some point, as are future buyers.

Did you buy your car with finance? If so you could put the onus on your finance provider to get it fixed.

I paid for cash for the car and part ex my beloved old one waaaaaaaah wonder who has it now :-?

When I say I have no enthusiasm for anything I meant to do with the car lol - life isn't that bad!!

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Birds eat tiny stones and grit to aid their digestion. These pass through and end up stuck in a mess on your paintwork. You should always leave a wet cloth/tissue on the bird 'lime' to soften it so that you can rinse it away. The fruit and berries they eat can be very acidic and will etch into any paint very rapidly, so remove it asap!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Birds eat tiny stones and grit to aid their digestion. These pass through and end up stuck in a mess on your paintwork. You should always leave a wet cloth/tissue on the bird 'lime' to soften it so that you can rinse it away. The fruit and berries they eat can be very acidic and will etch into any paint very rapidly, so remove it asap!

Bloody hell Allan, is there an actual qualification for knowing loads about Bird Sh*t??!!!:confused: :D ;)

Very impressive none the less......I'm off to tell the kids.....

·
Banned
477 Posts
Exactly... Don't wipe, rinse...

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Bloody hell Allan, is there an actual qualification for knowing loads about Bird Sh*t??!!!:confused: :D ;)

Very impressive none the less......I'm off to tell the kids.....
Good job we don't have to do the same to digest food, otherwise there would be a few surprised looks if we broke wind [smilie=damn.gif] [smilie=m-kay.gif] [smilie=huh-ani.gif]

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
I had hte same problem with my clio, bit of bird **** on the bonnet, wiped it off not thinking, nice round scrtach mark on there now!

Took it to renault, they say that renault's paintwork is thin.

THe other day, scratched my civic with a hose pipe, not good, could have been worse, i feel the paint quality is better than renault.

I now always wipe the stuff off with a soaking wet cloth, but before that, i soak the **** in water for a minute or 2 to soften it.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
My dealer experience was very good concerning paint. (or any other mather).
Once had a 92 Civic with stone chips, my dealer repainted the hood and even asked if something else would need repainting.
Since bird sh.. is environmental, the paint should resist it and should be under waranty.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would ask the dealer for a trade-in price, it might be cheaper to swap cars than fix the paintwork :)

Do you know what - you may well be right there, I will do exactly that when I take the car in on Wednesday, only trouble is if I get another Civic I might get one with alternative problems :rolleyes: there I go again - I must stop being pessimistic :D

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
:rolleyes: there I go again - I must stop being pessimistic :D
No mate, you're having a tough time and its obvious these things are really getting to you, i just hope the advice you've been getting is helpful and you manage to get this solved with Honda.

Chin up!

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Get the whole car with an extra paint layer!
It is a small car, easy to repaint (front and side only).
Make a deal with your dealer half/half, since there are no dents it is an easy job and you will be sure you get an extra layer of paint.
With a new car you still have the thin layer. I estimate if you pay half, could be around 400Euro.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think given your negativity towards the car, it might be worth taking a small loss just to get a new (new to you) car and start again :)
Im sorry!! Me negative about my car? I think you have confused me with someone else ;)

I will get some prices and see but I don't think i will be able to afford the difference now to get another brand new car, found myself looking at used cars yesterday mainly the Ford Focus :oops:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've got about 6-7 Chip marks on my bonnet! I've told Local Honda about it, first thing they said is Its not covered by warrenty... (Surly they could atleast say somthing like, We're check the thickness of the paint...) But Noooo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts