2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Im a new civic owner, purchased a 2007 1.8 Type S two weeks ago.

I have an issue with my car that im trying to diagnosis, im not mechanical savvy at all so talk to me like im 5 :p

Ok so the car drives very nice no issues at all (below 70mph), i can take it close to red line with no issues (below 70mph), but if im on the motorway and i get to over 70mph with my footdown there is quite a lot of judder and vibrations, i originally thought it could be just wheels needs re balancing but if i accelerate to maybe 80mph and then take my foot off accelerator the vibrations and judders stop, it is only happening when my foot is on the accelerator.

Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does the steering wheel judder? Wheel balance is the first thing to try, then that is definitely eliminated.
very slightly but im feeling the vibration all around the cabin and wheels really,

I thought i would rule out the wheels as the vibration stops immediately when i i take my foot off the accelerator, is this not the case?

·
3,694 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't rule it out as sometimes you can accelerate and 'drive through' wheel wobble. For instance, say it starts at 50, and if you get up to 60 it stops.
Get them balanced and rule that one out.
Perhaps it's one of the back wheels which don't vibrate the steering so much as fronts being out of balance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally, I wouldn't rule it out as sometimes you can accelerate and 'drive through' wheel wobble. For instance, say it starts at 50, and if you get up to 60 it stops.
Get them balanced and rule that one out.
Perhaps it's one of the back wheels which don't vibrate the steering so much as fronts being out of balance.
Hopefully is that and not something engine related, which was worrying me.

Also to be fair, My front tyres are decent Falken but the tread is near the levels of needing to be replaced, The backs have loads of tread but are mismatching rubbish brands,

What are the correct sizes for the 2007 Types S?

The ones fitted on mine are 225/45/17/94w but one of the cheap back ones says 225/45/zr17/94

What does the Z stand for?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
z is the speed rating
usualy vibration from out of balancew wheels is around 40 to 70mph
it can be anything from wheels tyre out of balance or shape
to worn bush or susspension joint
i wouldnt have thought it was engine related unless massive misfire or totally off on 1 cylinder or more

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
z is the speed rating
usualy vibration from out of balancew wheels is around 40 to 70mph
it can be anything from wheels tyre out of balance or shape
to worn bush or susspension joint
i wouldnt have thought it was engine related unless massive misfire or totally off on 1 cylinder or more
Engine is sweet as a nut going through the gears below 70 so hoping its not that.

What condition are you brake discs in ?I’ve had a warped disc before cause me all sorts of hassle . It’s never the most obvious cause .
Pretty decent, back ones almost look brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
with it only happening whilst accelerating it would suggest something along the drive train
a drive shaft worn or loose maybe ?

once youv'e ruled out wheel balance and checked the drive shafts the next thing to check would be the bottom wishbones bushes and ball joints
all your left with after that is suspension legs but they would have to be pretty bad to cause what your getting

with you saying it's only on acceleration i don't think it will be to do with the back end ( unless it's a wheel balance / buckled thing ) as the back end is basically dragged and if there was a problem with it i would think you would feel it all the time not just on acceleration

the only time a can remember having the same issue on other cars is a bad drive shaft and a very worn rear wishbone bush
it would be the first places i would look after i have inspected the tyres for bubbles / warping and made sure they are not buckled and out of balance

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Had a similar issue on my old Vauxhall, the culprit was the Driveshaft. The gaiters had come loose, allowing dirt to get in and gradually wear it down so there was a lot of play in it.

The more work/acceleration it was doing, the worse it would get. Also there was a slight 'clunk' each time I let the clutch back in.

As mentioned by cosmicma - might be worth checking them, giving them a wiggle to see how much play there is on it, and check the gaiters to see if it's possible that dirt could have got in

·
drives a shed now
1,430 Posts
very slightly but im feeling the vibration all around the cabin and wheels really,

I thought i would rule out the wheels as the vibration stops immediately when i i take my foot off the accelerator, is this not the case?
Just trying to reassure you it's unlikely to be engine related :)

Have the same issue around 60, though I know the cause. Badly leaking front right shock on mine. But with this issue, you'd notice more bounce while driving and sometimes a feeling like bump steer. Will change mine as pairs and do the top mounts while I am at it.

I'd go with @cosmicma's fault finding theory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts