2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Full Time Dreamer
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again and the little woman is insisting on buying me one of the newfangled "satnav" devices for my 'old' (Feb 06) civic. I've explained that being a bloke and always knowing where I'm going this is about a useful to me as a rear/wash wipe (now there's an idea !). BUT she's not having it - so - 2 questions ; 1. Which make and model of sat/nav and 2. (don't be rude) where do I stick it ? - Seasons greetings to all CivInfoers ! David (ManThatCan)

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
+1

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I thought that when my Mum bought us one two years ago, but was soon converted from the I don't need this to this is quite good. Diversions, speeding/speed camera alerts and ETA are all things I find really good in addition to solid navigation.

Tom Tom gets my vote.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I upgraded from a Garmin to a Tomtom earlier this year.

The Tom tom is much quicker at re-calculating, and it's pretty accurate. The Live Routes feature is extremely useful (calculates the best route based on time of day, day of the week, so forth and history of traffic on that route). It also seems to 'learn' your preferential routes. This was the main reason I replaced the garmin with a tomtom - I couldn't find a garmin that offered the same sort of functionality.

However, my garmin had a speed camera database built in - tomtom want £15 a year from me for the same functionality, which I'm hardly going to pay.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i purchased tomtom mobile for my wm6 htc hd, it's quite oldie but gets the job done (going from a to b) without issues. I have it fixed on the right (would be on the left for you) of the gearstick with the special car kits from brodit, brodit.com . tidier solution, albeit a bit more expensive

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Tom Tom would get my vote as well for ease of use and functionality.:thumbsup:

The newer ones which have the "easy port mount" can be positioned in the centre pocket. I think it's look cool there :cool: plus it's handy for use and also does away with the tell tale suction cup marks on the windscreen.

It wont stick to the base of the centre pocket, but a small dash mounting disc sorts that problem out. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Tomtom :D

And after a few weeks of use, you will wonder why did not have one before... HD routes, speed cam locations, traffic avoidance and great for finding short cuts/new routes.... All makes for a much better driving experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts