2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As I am French, I would apologise if my English is not perfect as Shakespeare. Be indulgent, please.

As many of you, I find the audio of my Civic is poor, really poor. My previous car was a Chrysler PT Cruiser with standard audio and it was 100 % better with nice and LOUD bass !

I read many threads about speakers replacement, and I understand that new speakers (Infinity, Alpine, etc ...) give a clearer sound with more details and definition but do not really improve bass level.

So, before entering in the work of audio improvement, my question is :

"Is it possible to notably improve bass level WITHOUT installing an amplified subwoofer" ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi type 901

I am of the same opinion as yourself 901, and think that there is no bass response. So I have decided to put some new speakers in the back. They are Kenwood KFC-PS170. It looks as though they will fit. If the bass is still not improved after this installation I am thinking about fitting a graphic equaliser booster, maybe just 30w x 30w to fill out the sound a bit.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charles,

Sincerely, I do not think that KFC-PS170 could improve bass level in the car alone. An other problem you can meet with these speakers is that the tweeter size exceed the speaker pan from around 2 cm in the center and it could make a problem when you will fit the door panel in place : the center of the grill will touch the tweeter. See picture below.

In my mind, I am thinking to install a slim amplified subwoofer like Alpine SWD1600 or Pioneer TSWX11A. Or similar ....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Off Topic: how do you find the difference in driving of the PT Cruiser and the Civic? I have a PT Cruiser for 2 weeks in August!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi type 901

Thanks for that info. I'll have a chat with the In-Car people at halfords and check the fitting. I thought these speakers sounded great without serious amplification.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Isn't there any room under the dash for a small amp? Not taken the dash off mine, but my last car, a Peugeot 307 had tonns of room - just thought most modern cars would be simular with their very large dashes.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Can you post any picture of the place you located the Alpine subwoofer in your Type S ??? Many thanx !
Wont be till next week Im afraid as car is in france at the moment !
No room under the Dash in the Type S apparently the wiring was very different to the 5 door they fitted it to previously too! Maybe the satnav meant it was different and the sub would not fit under the passenger seat where we thought it would but it doesnt take up too much room and looks cool.:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, best bet is to look on either

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/home.html

or

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/home.html

both these sites have stores in tottenham court road, london. They are really really cheap because they buy in immense bulk. In most cases you will save double on what you would pay at halfords and at least these guys can give u advice and know what their talking about. Personally i would go for a set of infinity components in the front. You can get a set of references for like £70, kappa are generally a fair bit more and to be honest you dont notice the difference unless your going competition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts