2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the bassworks stuff added to my replacement car, and I was surprised to find the amp was fitted inside the dashboard. This means you can't change the gain or crossover settings on the front of the amp without removing the entire dashboard! This seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Anyone got any clue about this?

Also - any ideas if fitting the bassworks sub speakers in the front is a supported configuration? My dealer fitted them the wrong way round, as I had a coaxial upgrade alongside it, and naturally it sounded absolutely appalling (as I assume the feed for the front speakers was for the rears and vice versa.

Any info at all on this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Having installed a few systems... The coax drivers should be in the front and the subs in the rear. Anything else would sound very odd.

Once we know how to dismantle the dash, it will be no problem! I will be on to it soon.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it sounded very odd indeed! :)

I was a bit wary of blowing a speaker or something when I tried it out.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the "service manual".

I had a very quick look at the system which has all the fitting instructions on it for the various accessories and upgrades. Big lists of things and full instructions on how to fit/debug them etc. Looked VERY useful.

It was web based... on some sort of intranet. I'm annoyed that I didn't pay enough attention to the name/URL.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I was at a local dealership a while ago here in Finland and talked to one of the sales staff. He told me that the first Bassworks kit that they'd installed had been fitted so that the amp ended up inside the dashboard.

Only after the customer had informed them and questioned the reasoning behind it, had they realised that the amp had to be accessed to change the settings. Apparently they have since been installing them in the glovebox, which does make more sense.

If only the concert packs weren't so darn expensive... :cry:

Nearly £1000 installed.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The official instructions say inside the dash, and it gives "optimal" settings for the xover and gain settings.

except, theyre crap....

I cant decide whether to get it back in at the dealer and ask for a glovebox mounting...

help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda has a part no: 08B06-SMG-500 on www.honda-access.com that is used for installation in glove box for Cassette or IVES system..

Has anyone tried using this for mounting the amplifier or how can this be done...?

Also as Gissing writes has anyone any experience about mounting in the glove box, and would one often want to change the gain or crossover settings or could a "best setting" be found so that installation inside dashboard could be acceptable...?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm loathe to take it back in again, after all my fuss. It is sounding better with settings

BASS -1
TREBLE +2

and FRONT +2

BALANCE 0

At higher volumes the sub makes a nasty "I CANT TAKE IT" noise, which is because the gain/ xover is set too high. Needs to be subtle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So we can conclude: The concert pack could have sounded better, but with the correct settings its ok. And again when you have the correct settings, there would be no need to change settings and hence no need to let it take up room in the glove department...

Although not ideal, best position is behind the dashboard and with the settings that Gissing provided...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts